front auto/man hubs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
one of my auto hubs is stuck locked. it's been acting up for a while. s o ithink i want to replace the auto/mans with regular manual hubs. unless anyone has a stock auto/man that they want to let go cheap.

where should i look for manual hubs and what is involved in swapping them?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Rob, I went withTHESE

Warn premium hubs are a full turn lock, unlike some that are 1/4 turn and prone to disengage or break.

Plan to spend about $200 if you wanna upgrade! You can find them cheaper...I just posted a quick reference linky....

Have you taken the stock hub apart? I'm not up on the Super Dutys :sorry:

Last edited:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
thanks for the link Geo. 239 bucks huh. i don't mind getting out to lock the hubs.. what happens to the vacuum system that's there now?

st6psycho

Reaction score
i just wanna say that i have owned 3 psd 2 obs and all have had auto hubs stamped with ford and for somereason they always break... now with my 05 that was the first thing i did to the truck was replace with manual warns lol anyone with similer exp

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ive put mile markers on a few , little cheaper than warn and just as good, I can get ya a price if ya want.
as for the vaccumm, just leave the lines there and hooked up, and cap the line at the t by the pump or pull the lines and put vaccum caps over them and still cap the T

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ones on the Moosewagon work OK, but they seem to be siezed up, so that you cannot use the manual overide. Anybody else experience this? Should I just try to turn them forcefully to see if they will loosen up, or leave sleeping dogs lie? LOL

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Mel
if they are seized ya need to take them out and try to free them up.
other wise you need to replace them. the auto will fail when you need it the most.
stock replacements are only 300 or so each from ford

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
stock replacements are only 300 or so each from ford

o :eek: for that price you should buy extra for spares:D

for that price i would buy manual. i still have something that pops out when i am under a good load in 4x4 and i am not sure if it is the transfer or auto hubs. sure is nice to just pull a lever to pull out quick and shift back to 2 wheel.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yes the auto feature is nice in theory but it seems to pop in and out at will when i put and load on it. that's why i lock them in manually all winter long. i want it to be in 4wd when i say so, not when it feels like maybe possibly clunking/ratcheting into gear.

i went to put them back to auto for my trip to BG and the one side will not release.

i'm thinking manual is the way to go... for simplicity and also to gain 2wd low, which is impossible with the auto system. but since i'm cheap i will probably try to free up what i have before i spend any money.

if i have to choose i'd rather have reliable manual hubs and 2wd low vs the stock auto convenience and no 2low

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just noticed that my link didn't work for you . Should have tested it, sorry. Thank's to NCheek for the correction.

Don't know how to Thank NCheek, but will try to find out. Just new to this forum, gotta find my way around.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
You've thanked me well enough, but if you really want to know how to "thank" someone, it is the button in the extreme bottom right of a post. The one with the thumbs up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firehunter88