Frickin' ATS are idiots!!

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figured I'm not the only one....

The pieces fit together almost kinda easily, but I guess once it's on there, it'll fill in nicely with carbon and seal up fine. I'm thinking I might drill and tap a hole and just put one small bolt in there to hold it in place...

Anyway, we got a long weekend coming up, and sometimes one has to remember that "all work and no play makes Daddy a dull boy", so I'm not workin' on it, but taking the weekend off and goin' off camping and fishin and stuff with my kidlets.

I hope to get it up and running next week, and I'll definately report back on the difference...Never had a turbo before, I'm gettin' kinda excited...

Zigg :)

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man, dude, you're going to think its a new truck...get excited! And put your boys to work helping their dad! Good luck on this weekend's other activities.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Unfortunately, unless you have a new truck, want and Aurora turbo, or an ATS tranny, forget it. Their customer service (over the phone) has always been less that adequate. Now that they have changed ownership, switched direction, whatever you want to call it, they don't even know what an IDI is.:puke:

That being said, I sure would like one of those billet 5 star converters and have them beef up the Ally in my DMax.:rotflmao

Tom

sassyrel

Reaction score
worse yet.
they have new ownership. new folks took over in '03 or so....
that explains a lot of it--old owners care--new owners lots of times just look at the profits--and dont care about service

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live right next to ATS, and the only person I know that they will even give the time of day too in person is my buddy who spends probably 10+k a year with them... and they $&*% around with him sometimes too. I avoid that company like the plague.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
well then im glad i went with a hypermax turbo instead of a ats i was debating between the 2 but looks like i made the rite choice
never had a problem with hypermax
thank god

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the looks of things, Hypermax may be the last one standing. Gee **** Zigg, don't you hate it when everybody puts their hand in your pocket as you pass by.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Yeah I figured I'm not the only one....

The pieces fit together almost kinda easily, but I guess once it's on there, it'll fill in nicely with carbon and seal up fine. I'm thinking I might drill and tap a hole and just put one small bolt in there to hold it in place...

Anyway, we got a long weekend coming up, and sometimes one has to remember that "all work and no play makes Daddy a dull boy", so I'm not workin' on it, but taking the weekend off and goin' off camping and fishin and stuff with my kidlets.

I hope to get it up and running next week, and I'll definately report back on the difference...Never had a turbo before, I'm gettin' kinda excited...

Zigg :)

I'm excited about mine too. it's sitting at the rebuilder waiting to be picked up. $500 for the rebuild, ballance, compressor wheel, and whole exh. side coated. i couldn't afford the upgrade w/dp and rebuild. but i just can't wait cause as son as i get it on i'm going to work on a w/m inj. infact i'll probably be using your setup.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Zigg, for the future the Clipper down town, and Sea Wings at the airport, both have offices in Port Angles/Seattle. You get the package shipped there (so many places do free shipping in the US) and with some "care of" instructions it ends up getting over here. You pick it up and walk through customs your self. The fee is cheap too! Last time I did it, with the free US shipping, it ended up costing less then them shipping it USPS.
But ya, I was shafted on the UPS thing before as well :( talk about getting bent over with out even a reach around.

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the ats housing a few years back and realized it was almost identical to the stock one just a different casting where the down pipe slides in. Anyway, I sold the ats housing and cut mine off short up where it was 3.5" diameter then welded a piece of 3.5 exhaust pipe to it and used 3.5 heavy duty flex tubing for my downpipe. Saved me $300 and has worked great for the past 2.5 years.

-Rob

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
I ordered the ats housing a few years back and realized it was almost identical to the stock one just a different casting where the down pipe slides in. Anyway, I sold the ats housing and cut mine off short up where it was 3.5" diameter then welded a piece of 3.5 exhaust pipe to it and used 3.5 heavy duty flex tubing for my downpipe. Saved me $300 and has worked great for the past 2.5 years.

-Rob

I'm going to do that to mine here in a little bit, except just run it out the hood like a tractor's exhaust, but 4" or larger.

I ordered my 3" from here:
http://www.jhdiesel.com/

They were nice and had good CS, got the product to me in under a week, normal shipping. Of course, I'm in the US... :D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to do that to mine here in a little bit, except just run it out the hood like a tractor's exhaust, but 4" or larger.
Is your truck a strictly-offroad vehicle? Last summer I had the opportunity to drove a big-block Chevy 2500 mud-slinger done like that, it had an 950cfm Holley double-pumper that was running rich and when the secondary power valve opened the darn thing started blowing brown-black like my current diesel, could hardly see anything! Of course that was by no means a regular run, as I had it wound up past 5k when it happened, and normally no one drives on the street at such engine speed in high gear, however you having a diesel you'll be seeing this every time you push the throttle down hard... just a bit of food for thought, if you haven't already considered it of course ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Is it even legal to run around with the exhaust coming out of the hood? Doesnt seem like it would be in some places.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Is your truck a strictly-offroad vehicle? Last summer I had the opportunity to drove a big-block Chevy 2500 mud-slinger done like that, it had an 950cfm Holley double-pumper that was running rich and when the secondary power valve opened the darn thing started blowing brown-black like my current diesel, could hardly see anything! Of course that was by no means a regular run, as I had it wound up past 5k when it happened, and normally no one drives on the street at such engine speed in high gear, however you having a diesel you'll be seeing this every time you push the throttle down hard... just a bit of food for thought, if you haven't already considered it of course ;Sweet

Mostly offroad LOL but I will be taking it on the road some, as a grocery getter, if you will. I have thought about it, and I know it will soot my roof up some, but its ok with me. I'm running 15 psi w/ barely enough fuel, so I don't get much black smoke. I won't ever have a load, so the engine being severely stressed is a non-issue.

Is it even legal to run around with the exhaust coming out of the hood? Doesnt seem like it would be in some places.
I don't know, never thought about that. Tractors are street legal w/ them, why not truck?