frame/chassis differences- cc and std cab

Adamlee

Kung Pao Master
Reaction score
Hello all....lurker here with a tech question.

Is the chassis/frame on a non-crewcab F250/F350 LWB the same length as a CC version? It doesn't appear to be....how is the extra length achieved? rails extended in the back/middle of the chassis?

Reason I'm asking, is I can find my "dream" Ford diesel project truck all day long - a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI -powered F350 4x4 - but never seem to find one in halfway decent shape, as a CREWCAB....which is what I really want!!

bottom line; it would be cool if it were possble to convert a regular cab truck into a diesel crewcab -

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all....lurker here with a tech question.

Is the chassis/frame on a non-crewcab F250/F350 LWB the same length as a CC version? It doesn't appear to be....how is the extra length achieved? rails extended in the back/middle of the chassis?

Reason I'm asking, is I can find my "dream" Ford diesel project truck all day long - a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI -powered F350 4x4 - but never seem to find one in halfway decent shape, as a CREWCAB....which is what I really want!!

bottom line; it would be cool if it were possble to convert a regular cab truck into a diesel crewcab -
remember the 2ft rule.
these trucks gain frame length for the cabs by stretching the frame rails between the strut rod mount to the back of cab frame mount.
starting with a standard cab as the baseline, you add 2ft to the frame right before the "S" section to make it a supercab and if its a crewcab you're mounting, add an additional 2ft over the supercab stretch.
or if you really have a few bucks to burn, come out to Kali and buy a CC for $5k(on the avg) and drive it back to the east coast.
here's a recent CL example.....
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/415855641.html

Attachments

• 86f3504x4.jpg
    86f3504x4.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
remember the 2ft rule.
these trucks gain frame length for the cabs by stretching the frame rails between the strut rod mount to the back of cab frame mount.
starting with a standard cab as the baseline, you add 2ft to the frame right before the "S" section to make it a supercab and if its a crewcab you're mounting, add an additional 2ft over the supercab stretch.
]

and dont forget that if you end up with a cab/chassis(incomplete vehicle)that the frame will also be longer than what you want between the cab and rear axle.

ghettoscrap

Reaction score
Maybe this should be a new thread, not sure, but I have a 1992or3 F-350 chassis cab with a flat bed, DRW and a regular cab. I noticed the frames are completely different from this truck to my 1993 F-350 CC SRW 4x4. I am not just talking about length either, the dually frame has a taller frame rail by about 2 inches or a little less but it is thinner in cross section from the SRW frame. I was hoping to find a crew cab body and slap on this chassis to make the truck I want. HOWEVER, reading this post has led me to believe this is going to be a monster PITA and probably not even work.

Should I assume it is correct I cannot set a crew cab body on this chasis and simply move the rear cab mount back on the frame? It looks like the frame turns up and would interfere with the cab sitting down properly, anyone done or seen this kind of swap. I want to build a WVO burning family truckster we can hual around the country in for beans, er, FRIES.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
cab-n-chassis frame are different from the back of the cab to the end of the truck.

In order to put a crewcab cab on a reg cab c-n-c frame, you need to cut the frame right after the trans crossmember and add 35"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online