Found a nice little gift in the driveway after work yesterday!!!!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
hmmm...

What about using a WH1C w/16cm housing gated to 12 psi (I still have my original IC from my '91)....will any of the exhaust manifolds from later 6.9 or 7.3's work on this mill? I wonder if anyone has reversed the manifolds to run in front of the motor...if so, I can fab a "Y" to the turbo mount from one of my original dodge exh manifolds to mount the turbo and then dump to the front. I can relocate the batteries to either under the front of the bed or use drop down batt boxes under the cab to give me some working space.

Are the IP's mechanical? If so, is there a thread on mod's for this? Reason I want to do these mods are:
A) I have a lead foot

B) I am constantly moving around 6 to 10k on a semi-daily basis from an elevation of 6320 up to 7k and have a lot of hills to climb.

C) I have a lead foot.

I found that my stock Dodge 6BTA was having to grunt a lot through inclines.

Hey welcome to Oilburners!
When i had mine apart i had that same idea of flipping the exhaust manifolds, but never really looked at it just wanted to get it back together.

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love flipped manifolds! That's what I did on my Mustang with a pair of T3s.. personally I'd like to see a pair of twins on an IDI, with the turbos mounted right to custom exhaust manifolds. It'd make for a nice clean install.

Fuel turn up article:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/Injection pump adjustment article.htm

That's by a member here on the forums, "zigg". He's got a bunch of crazy info on his site, and it's a good read.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the IP's mechanical? If so, is there a thread on mod's for this? Reason I want to do these mods are:
A) I have a lead foot

B) I am constantly moving around 6 to 10k on a semi-daily basis from an elevation of 6320 up to 7k and have a lot of hills to climb.

C) I have a lead foot.

I found that my stock Dodge 6BTA was having to grunt a lot through inclines.

Welcome to the best resource on the net for these old IH diesels. These old engines can give decent power and get the job done reliably but don't expect them to run like race cars or have the power the Cummins has or you will be disapointed.

Yes you can turbo these engines and the guys that have done it love it but with compression at 22:1 already there is only so much pressure they can take before stuff breaks.

Newer turbo diesels like the Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax engines run compression arount 16 or 17 to one and guys that build high performance diesels for racing and pulling run even lower.

If I were you I'd search eBay or keep your eyes peeled here for a used complete turbo kit that was designed for these engines and will bolt on unless you're into the pain of makeing everything yourself.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...agree with everything.... you cannot expect it to be a Cummins or Powerstroke, but it will be an awesome work vehicle. It can have good power with a few tweaks and a turbo. Any and all IH IDI manifolds will fit, but no gasser or PSD manifolds. You can usually pickup a decent used turbo kit on ebay and sometimes here in for sal for $400-1200 depending on what it is, how new it is...etc. Dodge turbo might fight if you are good at fabrication, but this has not been done to my knowledge, PSD turbos have been made to fit with acceptable results...excellent fab. skills are a MUST. A new banks kit is around $2700, a new ATS Aurora 2000 is around 2K, and a new Hypermax, $1800ish. Hopped up DB2 pumps can be had....do some searching on the forum....lots of controversey over who's good, and isn't and what works...and doesn't. Only one commercial supplier of these tweaked pumps that we know of...but some folks have modified their own...not many of us though. A nice gift from a grateful friend....sometimes doing the right thing has tangible rewards. Welcome,
J.D.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up 429. I am still semi-newb but these guys have taught me alot in the past 6~7 mos I have had my rig. I see you have a couple of stangs too. Nice to have another classic ford head on the board. Stick around and you will learn all you need to know.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Welcome and nice find :thumbsup: . I assume You know that You need a pyro before You do all this sweet stuff to that engine? As said they have good power and will get the job done now on high altitude maybe one of the guys on that area can help You out with some good info as to how much/far to turn up the fuel screw.

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, took the boxes off to clean and fix the hinges on the underside one

You must be registered for see images attach

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, bed was put in last summer.....found out today while cleaning up the engine compartment....REMANUFACTURED ENGINE installed Oct 2001!!!!!!!!!!!

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The higher the altitude the more you need to turn DOWN the pump, or the more you need a turbo.

The high compression ratio really limits the boost on a stock motor, I think 12 is pushing it and prefer 8-10 for long term hard pulling. Or you could jerk the motor apart, put low compression pistons, studs, head gaskets, charge-air cooler, and then put a big turbo on and blow the Dodges of the same age off the rode.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site, and to the brotherhood. Be sure to read the tech articles at the top of this forum. They may save you a lot of typing. That's a mightly fine "gift". ;Sweet

eyoung429

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, had a fun afternoon yesterday of putzing around the trucks.

Rebuilt the wh1c in my '91 (fragged it on the way into work and snapped the impeller shaft).

Installed ISSPRO fuel guage, pyro and oil prs guages in the '83. Got the new bosch glowplugs on order, looking for some rims (new thread).

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DAY-UM, Dude! That is one heck of a nice looking truck. When you first posted that your friend gave it to you I had this picture in my head of one that was at least a little bit beat up! That thing looks cleaner and nicer than the one I drive every day!

That is really cool man. Makes me feel good just to know someone's unselfish good deeds got repaid that way. NICE!