Ford said "no thanks" to the bailout

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Do you mean to tell me that there is something other than Ford?

There sure is, Harley! Another company that is not looking for the government to bail them out;Sweet:thumbsup:
The better companies will survive. GM and Chrysler sold their souls to the devil by taking that money. That could give Ford an edge in the future.
Ken

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quoted from the Breitbart article.

Referring to Bush; And he called for elimination of a "jobs bank" program—negotiated by the United Auto Workers and the companies—under which laid-off workers can receive about 95 percent of their pay and benefits for years. Early this month, the UAW agreed to suspend the program.

This is a start. The need for a union in this area is minute compared to 60-70 years ago. This is certainly an issue of the parasite killing the host. Perhaps not the only issue but one has to wonder how much more money could be funnelled into engineering and quality control to make a better product if it wasn't being squandered by an unscrupulous and greedy union. The simple fact that the unions are still trying to get concessions, rather than doing everything in their power to help alleviate further hardships, when their whole industry is on the verge of collapse is a sure sign of greed overshadowing the basic desire to provide better conditions for their workers. What about "permanent layoff" do they not understand?

Quote from Obama; "The auto companies must not squander this chance to reform bad management practices and begin the long-term restructuring that is absolutely necessary to save this critical industry and the millions of American jobs that depend on it"

This statement rings true. Again it does not address the whole problem but it is certain that some restructering (downsizing) must be done. Now is the time when your top heavy companies will either fall over or start shedding the excess fat. It's unfortunate as this means jobs, and probably high salaried jobs at that, need to be done away with.

And best of all. My beloved Ford ( Ever since I was 8 years old and visited the Ford museum it has been my favorite brand) has chosen to keep its' integrity intact and solve it's problems without burdening us in the process.

It seems that every now and then when complacency has set in we need to be shaken up and reminded not to take it all for granted. Hopefully the auto industry will learn this at long last. Chrysler should have learned this 30 years ago. But it seems they forgot that they were in essentially the same position in 1980.

Sorry for the long and rambling post but these issues have been weighing on me for a really long time (not just the past couple of years) and it's been like watching a train wreck so to speak. I am actually glad that finally there is a need to reevaluate their business practices. I hope they can shake off the union blood sucking as well.

Now here is where I apologize for hijacking this thread. Oops.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never did care much for Chevy:puke:, (Even though I have made plenty of money repairing and rebuilding them) and care for Chrysler even less (even though I do like the old Hemi) but I was hoping to see gm go bankrupt but I would hate to see what it would do to peoples jobs and economy. Yes I bleed Ford blue:eek: (the old ford blue). Even my jeep cj has a ford engine, tranny and rearend;Sweet and the rest is so custom you could hardly call it AMC anymore.

joe_diesel

Reaction score
It's a matter of better timing and good insight from the leaders at Ford not just profitability.

Ford did take a draw down on it's credit facility prior to GM and Chrysler. Fords leaders saw that cash may dry up and acted sooner than the others. By the time GM and Chysler acted the lines of credit available to them had already been substantially reduced. Other well run companies, such as Southwest Airlines, followed (or really lead) F in doing the same thing. Mulally is new to the auto biz but, was a well respected leader in the Boeing Company.

While F did not take the cash (from the gov) they are attempting to leave the door open to the tune of almost $10B. I think going this route may be a brilliant move. They may get the benefits of a nearly forced restructure (to stay competative with the others) without suffering the sales backlash related to the loans.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I think it's a shrewd move, any folks looking to purchase new vehicles will purchase Ford now given the perception that they are not a greedy corporation.

kerrynzl

Reaction score
A modern parable

There has been a joke email floating around down under!

Here it is:

A Japanese company (Toyota) and an American company (GM) decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River. Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action. Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion. They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents, and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager. They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program,' with meetings, dinners, and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes, and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses.

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India.

The End

kerrynzl

Reaction score
It's the gov't that needs the bailout

Yeah we have the same problem with incompetent f**kwits running the place down here in New Zealand.
I don't know if this is urban folklore or not:-

There is a story down here about an old lady that dialed 111 [ 911 to you guys ] because the neighbouring house was being broken into.
Apparently the theives got caught by a Pizza delivery guy
[ when the police did an enquiry, it was discovered that the pizza order was made AFTER the 111 phone call ]

Luckily we don't have donut delivery guys here

tractorman86

Reaction score
yea, just last night after the superbowl ended some retard shot off probably 30 rounds into the air with his AK47(i've seen him do it before and that is a very destinctive round). his house is not 1/4 mile from where i was at a friends house and 3/4mile from mine so i called the 911 and not a single cop made it down there, i watched for an hour, and i gave very good directions along with the other three or four people who called. i was sooooooo F***ing pissed off.

tractorman86

Reaction score
nice, if they where shooting at something thats one thing but that is one hell of a round to just put up in the air just left to fate.