Ford/New Holland 1620 Tractor questions

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
we haven't done any fuel treatment yet. we are getting an almost constant haze of blue smoke and when we rev the engine we get a good cloud of blue. we can also smell the auto rx out he exhaust. is that normal? we checked the valves and they are right. we seem to have a LOT of valvetrain noise.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
we still have an obnoxious amount of valvetrain noise. the cold starts are getting harder to start. we have to cycle the plugs 2-3 times. on cold starts we are getting mostly grey smoke. then once warm there is no smoke. when we give it a blip of throttle we get a nice cloud of blue smoke. almost no black. when we are driving it with no load on it and we get to a slight grade it bogs down a couple hundred rpm and rolls a bunch of blue smoke. once warm restarts are no problem. they produce a little puff of black.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
we still have an obnoxious amount of valvetrain noise. the cold starts are getting harder to start. we have to cycle the plugs 2-3 times. on cold starts we are getting mostly grey smoke. then once warm there is no smoke. when we give it a blip of throttle we get a nice cloud of blue smoke. almost no black. when we are driving it with no load on it and we get to a slight grade it bogs down a couple hundred rpm and rolls a bunch of blue smoke. once warm restarts are no problem. they produce a little puff of black.

Have you tested the glow plugs? Sounds like they could be ready for replacement and possibly have an injector or two that is leaking down overnight.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Have you tested the glow plugs? Sounds like they could be ready for replacement and possibly have an injector or two that is leaking down overnight.

last winter we tested the plugs with a test light and that showed good and we also pulled them out and hooked them up to the battery and they all started to glow instantlly. i guess i could check how many volts they are getting witht he key in the glow position. last saturday we did get a new injector but that did not make a difference. last winter we had the injectors pop tested. they poped good but i don't know about the spray pattern. i will be going to napa for some Howe's fuel treatment for my truck. i will ask my dad if he wants some.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
last winter we tested the plugs with a test light and that showed good and we also pulled them out and hooked them up to the battery and they all started to glow instantlly. i guess i could check how many volts they are getting witht he key in the glow position. last saturday we did get a new injector but that did not make a difference. last winter we had the injectors pop tested. they poped good but i don't know about the spray pattern. i will be going to napa for some Howe's fuel treatment for my truck. i will ask my dad if he wants some.

If it gets down to serious cleaning, here's where to get the stuff you need , Diesel Purge and for a good idea of how to use it look here In Europe where around 60% of the new cars sold are diesels , they are worlds ahead of us when it comes to neat tricks for making diesels run nice.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
this morning my dad started it up and he let the plugs cycle for the normal amt of time and then once the light went out he held them for another 5 sec. turned the key and the engine fired right up with no smoke. with the key in gp cycle position i am getting 10.5-10.7V to each plug. this is a 12V system BTW. do those voltages sound about right? we are going to look into hooking up an oil pressure gauge and make sure that is good. when the engine is cold there is almost no valvetrain noise. but if you let it run for a few minutes the noise almost "turns on".

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
this morning my dad started it up and he let the plugs cycle for the normal amt of time and then once the light went out he held them for another 5 sec. turned the key and the engine fired right up with no smoke. with the key in gp cycle position i am getting 10.5-10.7V to each plug. this is a 12V system BTW. do those voltages sound about right? we are going to look into hooking up an oil pressure gauge and make sure that is good. when the engine is cold there is almost no valvetrain noise. but if you let it run for a few minutes the noise almost "turns on".

Big question. Are you used to running open engines with solid lifters or are you primarily used to operating engines with hydraulic lifters, or fancy exotic engines with solid lifters that have dampeners?
Reason I ask is your valve noise doesn't sound like anything out of line. If it's a steady even clacking all the way around with a nice even echo coming off all of them, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's when they get quiet that you need to start worrying. Now if it sounds like it's only coming from one valve, then you may have a problem.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Big question. Are you used to running open engines with solid lifters or are you primarily used to operating engines with hydraulic lifters, or fancy exotic engines with solid lifters that have dampeners?
Reason I ask is your valve noise doesn't sound like anything out of line. If it's a steady even clacking all the way around with a nice even echo coming off all of them, then I wouldn't worry about it. It's when they get quiet that you need to start worrying. Now if it sounds like it's only coming from one valve, then you may have a problem.

it is an even clicking across the whole valve cover. we just did not remember it being that noisy before all of this engine trouble. Dad decided that we are just going to use it this winter and if it works, great. if not then it is getting sold.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You had the valve cover off to check the valve clearance. How much buildup was on the inside of teh metal?

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
we got an oil pressure gauge hooked up. at idle (~900rpm), we are on the light side of 50 psi. when we rev the engine up to ~2000rpm, which is were we cut grass, the pressure moves to the high side of 50 psi. the only change we see is about the width of the needle. does that sound right? it seems like there shjould be more of a difference between idle pressure and grass cutting pressure. this tractor has the regular oil pump and it also has an oil pressure relief valve. from my service manual-relief vavle opening pressure should be 42-66psi at rated engine speed. based on that does it sound like something is up with my relief valve or the pump itself? when it says at rated engine rpm, does that mean the pressure should change when the rpms change? something that our presssure is not doing.

RoyBoy

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Is that pressure reading with the engine oil hot? It sounds fine, but you may see more of a variation with hot oil. As long as you are in the range you are good ;Sweet
Other thought- those engines do have quite a bit of clatter to them.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Is that pressure reading with the engine oil hot? It sounds fine, but you may see more of a variation with hot oil. As long as you are in the range you are good ;Sweet
Other thought- those engines do have quite a bit of clatter to them.

cold engine in 30-40* outside temps. this engine has never sounded like this before. it has always sounded like a diesel. i really wish i could get a quality video to show you guys.