Ford 7.3 IDI Turbo Removal

1994IDI

Reaction score
I'm looking for help again here guys. Especially from Pacaman, since he just did this job.
I'm trying to get the ATS uprgraded outlet on my turbo, and I guess I am going to have to pull the turbo off. I am not replacing the housing, just the outlet, and downpipe. I have removed the intake tube, and piping, the turbo oil line, the downpipe, and three of the 12 point headed bolts, that hold the outlet on. I cannot get to the other two, so I guess I will have to remove the turbo.
Do I have to remove the uppipe? Then where do I go from there? My uppipe has never been removed, so I don't know if it will survive removal. Also, it still has heat wrap and clamps on it, do i have to cut the clamps off?
I have have very limited turbo experience, so give me some lamens terms if you would. I really appreciate if someone could give me a detailed description on removing this thing. Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't mess with the uppipe if I were you.
under the heat shielding, you will find four bolts that secure the turbo to the uppipe. remove those.
lastly, you will need to remove the two bolts that hold the turbo to the drainback tube in the center section of the turbo.
these two steps will yield hours of entertainment.-cuss-cuss-cuss

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lookie at the pics.....

Attachments

• SL374078.JPG
    SL374078.JPG
    296.7 KB · Views: 148
  • SL374076.JPG
    SL374076.JPG
    290.8 KB · Views: 142
  • SL374075.JPG
    SL374075.JPG
    292.9 KB · Views: 143

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did mine I pulled the cross pipe off, be prepared to break the studs! Then heated the slip fit on the cast Iron up pipe with the torch. A little wiggle back and forth and it came right out, 15min tops. I may have just gotten luckey but thats how I did it and the only casualty was the passenger side manifold studs (now grade 8 bolts)

billw

Reaction score
hello, I DID THIS JOB 6 mnths ago on my 94 ,the first year i might add and its a ***** ileft the pipe on it but had to remove crossmember to allowthe damn thing to slide out i'm guessing your mounts for turbo don't look anything like the pictures shown above. you my friend have many many more hours of enjoyment ahead. don't worry i finally won the battle.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this about 6 months ago as well. The nuts on the up pipe were stuck way too tight to take it apart without breaking everything.

I just pulled up really hard, and slid the whole assembly -turbo and up pipe- out. It was nice to be able to complete the dis-assembly on the bench. When it all went back in, I had a hard time getting that pipe to seal, and everything to line up correctly. Then I used a 2x4 and a big hammer to pound it all into place. That worked surprisingly well. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to whoever else reads this thread, one more thing that helps greatly when pulling the whole mess, is unbolting the body and lifting it high enough to stick 4x4 blocks in between the mount and the body. at that point, you can pull the turbo and uppipe with minimal grief.