Ford 300 I6 slow acceleration

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey when i first got my truck it was like FAST in Acceleration, i bout it with 166,000 miles on it. and now it has 182,*** on her. it seems like over time it just kinda lost all that good acceleration it had when i first bought it.. could there be a problem with my fuel injectors?? timing?? fuel filter?? I usually run either 89 or 93 octane gas in it (brand name gas not the cheap crap). could i just be over due for a fuel filter and thats why its not picking up like it use too?
any suggestions on how to get this good acceleration back would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Pvt. Klein

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may sound kind of stupid but check to make sure when your foot is on the floor, that the throttle is actually open all the way. I had a 91 F250 with the straight 6 that did the same thing, just slowly lost its snap. The throttle cable stretched and therefore, when my foot was on the floor it was only running 1/2-3/4 throttle

gatorman21218

Reaction score
This may sound kind of stupid but check to make sure when your foot is on the floor, that the throttle is actually open all the way. I had a 91 F250 with the straight 6 that did the same thing, just slowly lost its snap. The throttle cable stretched and therefore, when my foot was on the floor it was only running 1/2-3/4 throttle

that problem is not engine specific. It happened on my truck over time and when I put a new cable on it it felt like I gained a hundred horsepower

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like time for a good ole tune-up maybe??

I only drove an F-150 300 once and thought it was slow. Very torquey though.

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use high octane fuel because its better for the engine and burns more efficiantly if you use the gunky gas aka 87 Octane your lible to get crap in your injectors and sometimes makes the valves stick

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think ill be putting a new cable in as soon as I get this freaking transmission back in if someone will get off their high horse and help me.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just want to dispel a couple myths here:

Octane rating has nothing to do with cleanliness of burn. All octane does is prevent ignition by compression.

Second, higher grades of gas sell much more slowly than regular. So in all actuality, the 89 and 93 are probably dirtier than 87. In short, a waste of money to run in an engine with <1:9.5 compression......

I will agree on using a "name brand" fuel. There's a raceway here in town that is notorious for selling watery gas. I stick to the Exxons and Chevrons (The sign says no ethanol)

FORDMAN41291

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i can tell a differance in performance when i use 89 and 93 and higher octanes. and the higher octanes are starting to sell quicker because a lot of newer vehicles require the use of the higher octane...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
rotor, dist cap, wires, plugs, air filter, fuel filter... change them all and see what happens.

If I recall your truck has high fuel pressure so best to disable the fuel pump and bleed off pressure.
My I6 had an inertia switch by the gas pedal if I recall.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
his is in the driver side kick panel. i second tune it up, use copper motorcraft plugs only. anything else runs like crap in them.

all ur doing is wasting money. use 87 octance bud. i have a built up fuelie 300 and its the cats ass but still sluggish, the torque is great for luggin 35s though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.