For Those On The Fence about Al Radiators

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Just do it! Before when I drove at 70-75moh this time of year (90-100* 50% humidity) i was seeing water temps aroubd 200-205 with the send on the top of the water pump. I put in my champion radiator, and filled it up with distilled water (didn't drain block, sonwhat 50/50 mix was left in there mixed with the distilled water I put in, so it is fairly diluted and does help temperatures as well*). driving 70-75mph....180-185*. After I got onto the backroads it actually dropped to below 180* which is to low for me, and yes it has a motorcraft thermostat in it. I also bought a motorcraft 13psi cap for it

Awesome investment, well worth the money.

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NOW ill try one for the dually. Thanks Justin, and hows things?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always embrace the hotter temps with my engine, runs stronger, uses less fuel, Idles smoother.
I like mine around 230/240 seems to be a good temp for efficient operation.
I don't use water in my Alum radiator, Water is a contaminate.
I daily drive my truck, I am the only one that wrenches on it.
Anything that I can buy that saves from me having to wrench on my truck
I am all over it.
Water inside my cooling system is like walking in public with a hole in your
money pocket...

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Evans waterless coolant is a great coolant for our engines. It even has a statement that tells you if you loose some of it just refill with water but. Know this is just to get you home safely. then you need to dump all thats in the engine. It is expensive but well worth the expence too. Running Evans and a zero pressure cooling system tells me your hoses are not going to blow off like a pressureized cooling system will when they rot. Probably still a good idea to have a gallong behind the rear seat for those water pump just in case failures.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If I had the money, sure I would use Evans waterless, but that's a steep price to pay. Right now the coolant mix will be perfectly fine, at least I didn't use water out of the hose LOL.

This is without a doubt one of the best things I have done to the truck. It ranks up there with the turbo install into just how big of a difference there is before and after.

And I do agree that running hotter helps, but the fact that it lowered my coolant temps 20* makes me that much more confident in it's cooling system.

Russ, it's definitely worth it. Its a cheapish radiator, and the fitment wasn't that great. I was only able to get 3 of the 4 bolts that mounts the radiator, but I called it good enough fir right now.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running an aluminum rad for two years now. The big issue I had was finding an affordable one in Canada. I ended up with this one http://www.cooldirect.ca/catalog/radiator-ford-series-73l-8cyl-2334-tall-core-p-6931.html and I am very happy. Having said that, the first one failed after nine months but it was immediately replaced under warranty. The leak was a pin hole in one of the tube welds. I spoke with the distributor and with the local shop who delivered the replacement and both said that they had never experienced a failure before.

I post this for guys in Canada looking for an affordable option.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While the Champion radiators do seem like a decent deal, I have to disagree with the OP - I think your drastic improvement in cooling is not so much the stock vs champion radiator, but rather an old dirty clogged radiator vs a new clean one. I had a recently rebuilt stock 4 row unit and went to a 3 row champion with no significant change in performance. (replacement was a result of the stock one being stolen... $&*^(*&^@ thieves! :mad:)

Also bear in mind that there's a pretty significant temperature difference between various sensor locations - the stock location is essentially the engine outlet, where you have it may be a lower temp.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
While the Champion radiators do seem like a decent deal, I have to disagree with the OP - I think your drastic improvement in cooling is not so much the stock vs champion radiator, but rather an old dirty clogged radiator vs a new clean one. I had a recently rebuilt stock 4 row unit and went to a 3 row champion with no significant change in performance. (replacement was a result of the stock one being stolen... $&*^(*&^@ thieves! :mad:)

Also bear in mind that there's a pretty significant temperature difference between various sensor locations - the stock location is essentially the engine outlet, where you have it may be a lower temp.

Sender location was the same for both of them. And yes, I do attribute a majority of the cooling difference to a clean rad.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant that might be why you're seeing below 180* temps and that people should be careful comparing coolant temps.