For those of us using the Ferret timing adapt.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get a better understanding of the advance/retard on the db2 inj. pump and came across this on the 6.2/6.5 forums.
In regard to timing with the pulse-adapter - it's really meant for a relative reading of timing advance - more than a specific reading. It WILL tell you how much the advance is travelling. If the advance wasn't working at all - the engine would skip and smoke when you revved the engine - especically when cold or no-load.

Ford doesn't give general timing specs for the 6.9 or 7.3 - it all depends on what the engine is installed in, specific cetane of the fuel being used, and the altitude the engine is being run at. Actual timing inside the combustion chamber (as seen by a luminosity probe) can be set anywere from 8 degrees BTDC at 2000 RPM, to 7 degrees ATDC at 1400 RPM. Using a pulse-adapter is going to be quite different since it reads earlier than the actual time of combustion. Often 6 to 12 degrees earlier than timing with a luminosity probe. A good ballpark though - with the pulse adapter is 13-15 degrees BTDC at 1600 RPM.
I remember awhile back Mel telling me a properly timed idi [6.9/7.3] will be at 19 deg. at idle when timed at 8.5 @ 2000 rpm.
I checked my timing after reading this and it's 8.5 @ 2000 rpm but only 13 deg. btdc at idle, 650 rpm. using my pulse adapt..
So obviously if we're using a pulse adapt. we have to adjust for the difference between the "pulse" and actual ignition.

I was going to try advancing mine to the 13-15 deg. btdc as quoted but what I didn't understand is why 2000 rpm/luminosity and 1400 rpm/pulse ?

Sorry for the long post but there are some of us that thought we were timing our trucks right and I guess we're still retarded LOL.

Dennis

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy with it if at 2000RPM it is 8.5* BTDC with the pulse method, but you could advance it to 9.7, a lot of use here think that is a better spec for the ULSD or Bio. I think they have it backwards with the lumy and pulse. Pulse numbers are taken at 2000 and lumy at 1400 RPM at least that is what i have always read/heard.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the ferret timing adapter and I have mine set at about 9.5 It seems to rattle quite a bit so I think 13 or so would be extreme. Maybe damage something but I'm not sure on that. I'm still learning quit a bit about these engines. Someone else will chime and set us straight.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy with it if at 2000RPM it is 8.5* BTDC with the pulse method, but you could advance it to 9.7, a lot of use here think that is a better spec for the ULSD or Bio. I think they have it backwards with the lumy and pulse. Pulse numbers are taken at 2000 and lumy at 1400 RPM at least that is what i have always read/heard.

Your absolutely right JD, the rpm figures are reversed.
Thanks

Dennis

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dennis are you still interested in getting together and checking timing? Ever hear from Gonecrayzi?

Yea...whatever works for you and Will. Just give me a couple of weeks notice and I'll be good.
Will did contact me and said the only time in May that works for him is the weekend of the 23. He also mentioned making the trip here, to my place and that's fine by me and we'd have a garage to work in, but a longer trip for you two. If not we'll have to find a place to meet where we can work undisturbed.
Get together with Will and let me know.

Dennis

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that at 2000 RPM, your timing is controlled by internal fuel presure against the advance piston, while at idle, your timing is controlled by the external cam and advance piston lever. So, turning the whole pump to adjust your idle timing is not really the answer. Idle timing is more a question of how the pump is calibrated (as in where that cam is set) more than anything. That nylon roller can sieze, and slide on the cam, which will put a flat spot in it, and the cam can wear also, so a pump can go out of calibration easily if the cam and roller are not maintained (a drop of light oil now and then is all that is required).

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel...good info..
So how important is the amount of advance at idle ?

Dennis