For guys with the carter p4070

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
For you guys that have it mounted on frame after fsv what fuel pressure are you getting at schrader and after pump?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be putting in the Delphi version of that pump in a few days. If nobody helps you out I'll check it after install for you.

What's the issue you are having?

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
I will be putting in the Delphi version of that pump in a few days. If nobody helps you out I'll check it after install for you.

What's the issue you are having?
It runs and pumps and I have it all setup, only getting 2psi at schrader and 3psi straight from pump.

Truck runs and drives just seems low, wonder if something in tank is causing it to have low pressure? Fsv is bypassed.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have it set up right. It is a pusher pump, not a puller pump so you have it mounted in the right place. Should be less than a 10 foot push—well within capability of p4070.

What is the specs from the carter manual on unregulated flow? Guess it’s possible you got a bad pump, but I have always had good luck with them if kept away from heat, and mounted with some rubber isolation.

Brand new pump or are you troubleshooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the specs from the carter manual on unregulated flow?

Amazon says "4 - 6 psi output, 72 gph free flow"

Sounds a little low at 2-3.

Another valid question is how precise is your pressure gauge?

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
The real question is what is the pressure under load. Say WOT on acceleration?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Not sure when WOT. Checking with a guage, don't have one in truck yet. It is a brand new pump off amazon. Was putting out 3psi right out from pump first day, about 2 at schrader. Was just making sure thats not in the normal, I know it says 4-6.

rewbrooks50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4070 shows 2-3 psi with gage on filter schrader valve. Zero at exceleraion.

Replaced with a Airtex E8012S. Reads same psi.

The truck runs good.

Rick

ABNORDY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually thinking of installing the E8012S as a primer pump between the Mechanical lift pump and fuel filter and was thinking of wiring it to the glow plug solenoid. what do you all think? Is there a thread elsewhere with more detailed information?

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My p4070 is back at the rear tank (I only have one 35 gallon tank). My specs say 4-8 psi, usa made carter from summit. I have mine regulated to 6 psi with an aeromotive bypass regulator. My injection pump is a 130cc pump. The gauge is by the inlet of the injection pump. It is 6 psi at idle or hard acceleration.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was asked to post a pic of my set up. It is below. My fuel filter is frame rail mounted under the passenger door. My regulator is not pictured but is on the outlet of the fuel racor 2 micron filter/water seperator.

Then there is a picture of my fuel pump and pre filter. I've removed the little screen they put in these pumps and put in a racor 100 micron spin on pre filter.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach