FNG Looking for advice

fran35

Reaction score
New member here, looking for knowledge and advice. I live in PA, right on the Mason Dixon line and recently became the owner of an 89 F250 7.3. I knew the truck had some issues when I traded for it and was willing to learn the ins and outs and rehab the truck. It is in overall ok shape, with a new paint job and a bed with no rust(replaced).

Here are the issues that I have observed:

- previous owner had truck on push button start due to the key/ignition strip out. I have to turn the ignition block under the column on manually and then there is a toggle that activate the WTS light and the fuel pump. The starter is engaged by a push button. Ghetto fabulous, and I am working to fix it. I have the new ignition and key/stirrup, but I understand it is tedious and just have not started.

-The truck runs ok, it starts very hard with a short period of white smoke. The motor has a slight shake to it but seems to have normal power. The injector lines/caps/orings are all new.

- The glow plugs are all dead, I have 6 removed and they all came out pretty easily. They are Autolites, I have their replacements in hand and they are the Motorcraft/Beru plugs. However, I have begun to troubleshoot the GP relay and realize that it is only putting out about 2 or 3 volts when the WTS light is activated. I am think I will go ahead and replace the relay and see if that is the issue.

-There is fuel in the valley. It doesn't seem to be coming from the lines or valves, most likely the IP, but the valley is seemingly always wet and the truck smells like diesel from across the yard. Even the cab smells terrible, so my guess is that the IP is leaking.

OK, with all of the above issues(which are relatively minor and easy,even for a novice), the following may be a large issue. I have noticed block sealer in the coolant reservoir. It is uniform black balls and there is seemingly a slight black-maybe oily film. Not sure what to think about this. The oil is not milky, no coolant smell from exhaust or sustained white smoke that would indicate coolant in the block. There is absolutely Zero blow by and no noticeable bubbles or gasses in the radiator when the truck is running. I have driven the truck minimally since I got it (maybe 200 miles), but I did run it for 2 hours on the highway in the mid 90s with no issue whatsoever. The previous owner had a smoke stack, which I promptly removed and turned up the fuel pump.

Basically, with the indications of block sealer in the reservoir, but no blow by or gas bubbles in coolant, should I be very alarmed and should I limit the amount of $$ and time I devote to the ignition and glow plugs? Also, with the fuel in the valley, I am starting to believe the IP may have a leak.

I am wondering everyone's thoughts on my situation and I am open to all recommendations.

FYI, the truck says 187,000 on the odometer and I am not sure if that is completely accurate. Also, I feel pretty confident in saying that the previous owners were not in the know regarding SCAs or cavitation preventions.

pafixitman

Reaction score
All I can say is you have one of the more knowledgeable people in your backyard Agnem. Mel owns the first Ford diesel registered in York County. Also happens to own Conestoga Diesel Injection. There are a bunch of us with in a hour or so of you. I cannot provide any insight on the block sealer. May want to see if you could connect with Mel regarding the IP.

fran35

Reaction score
All I can say is you have one of the more knowledgeable people in your backyard Agnem. Mel owns the first Ford diesel registered in York County. Also happens to own Conestoga Diesel Injection. There are a bunch of us with in a hour or so of you. I cannot provide any insight on the block sealer. May want to see if you could connect with Mel regarding the IP.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually going to reach out to CDI for the IP, but I want to get an idea of what/if else I am looking at. I am new to diesels and want to learn. I have already bought the Haynes manual and the Ford Shop reference/manual for both the truck and also the Ford Shop manual for the 7.3 Navistar. This is not a vehicle I rely upon for daily commute and I realize that this is a project. Obviously, a block issue is a game changer.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Electric fuel pump isn't stock. You should look at how it's hooked up, and if they left the mechanical pump hooked up also. Thats a no-no.
That may not be block seal. More likely radiator stop leak. Still not a great sign, but if it had cavitation, it'd most likely still be leaking.
If it's the IP leaking, it needs replaced. But it could be coming from a return line. Or any number of things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

fran35

Reaction score
Electric fuel pump isn't stock. You should look at how it's hooked up, and if they left the mechanical pump hooked up also. Thats a no-no.
That may not be block seal. More likely radiator stop leak. Still not a great sign, but if it had cavitation, it'd most likely still be leaking.
If it's the IP leaking, it needs replaced. But it could be coming from a return line. Or any number of things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks. There is no electric pump, I misspoke. It still has the mechanical lift pump.

I would be relieved to have it turn out to be radiator seal. I can deal with that, or at least see a possible solution.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a sealant and not just oil? Oil in the coolant is usually the oil cooler. If someone put stop leak in it, it could be a radiator problem but hopefully it's not a head gasket issue or worse.

The electrical system is not that complicated but you may want to consider swapping the column depending on how broken and or hacked up things are. The tumbler and pot metal actuator do-dad are common failures. Depending on the hack job on the wiring, it may not be bad to put it back stock.

The good news is if it's just the radiator and not a head issue, nothing you have going on is terminal or at least sounds terminal to me.

fran35

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I realize that the best way to learn is by doing, but by doing it with someone who knows. To that end, as far as any forum brothers near me or within an hour or so, I would be more than willing to come out to assist with projects on your trucks just to learn about these motors and the trucks. Quick learner with a strong back.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I realize that the best way to learn is by doing, but by doing it with someone who knows. To that end, as far as any forum brothers near me or within an hour or so, I would be more than willing to come out to assist with projects on your trucks just to learn about these motors and the trucks. Quick learner with a strong back.

How about you come to Texas, I got three trucks waiting for an IDI to be inserted in them LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online