Fluid change or rebuild?

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Yeah I dont know if anyone has ever gauged the volume of contaminants removed from the system using a machine vs dropping everything. The one I saw had a sort of catch can that trapped stuff as it flowed thru the system. I believe they disconnected the lines from trans to radiator, pumped fluid thru one side and circulated out the other. That caught alot of junk. Then they connected the machine to the transmission side and ran it through, again picking up alot of what I assume was friction material from inside the T/C. They may have had the vehicle running and spinning the transmission as well, I dont recall as it was some time ago but the catch can had quite a bit of different colored gunk in it afterwords. Way more than I have ever gotten off the pan magnet.

It would be neat to see a blackstone labs study on the fluid before and after vs just dropping the T/C and draining it.

I assume it had some kind of mesh filter or centrifuge effect inside to pull the contaminants out of the fluid but I never got inside the machine to find out. I also dont recall ever seeing any kind of solvent being used, thought it was just the same trans fluid used to fill the transmission.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Using the Mark K method or a flush machine will remove way more contaminates than dropping the pan. When you drop the pan you won't get the crud out of the worm tracks.(fluid path). The other catch is the converter. A stock unit will have a drain plug. You can drain those. After market multi disk will not have any plug. You will need to force the crud out of them. The other option in this case is to drain the tranny multiple times until the fluid looks good. That can get expensive really quick.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have six Fords that run, two more in work, and two waiting. I stopped using in-radiator coolers decades ago. I found they are often trans heaters, not coolers. I now get triple pass radiators that do not even have a trans cooler.

The pic is my current favorite trans cooler. The 2001 E350 used to be a hotel shuttle. That three fan unit was the AC condenser for the rear passenger area.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7