FLATBED WITH CAMPER?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen anyone put a regular truck camper on a flatbed truck? Someday I would like to get a truck camper, but my truck is a flatbed, I'm not even sure if its possible or safe

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Build one! I saw a guy make one that was very nice. My flatbed is 7X9 and if your's is like that, you can gain quite a bit, no wheel wells either! Just a thought. I'm sure you can find some camper siding and build something much more structurally sound than what they build too!

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build one! I saw a guy make one that was very nice. My flatbed is 7X9 and if your's is like that, you can gain quite a bit, no wheel wells either! Just a thought. I'm sure you can find some camper siding and build something much more structurally sound than what they build too!

I was thinking of just building one. do you have a link to some pics of the one you were referring to?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I was thinking of just building one. do you have a link to some pics of the one you were referring to?

No, not any more...the ones I knew of were owned by some guys that did oil well work and we flew RC planes with. I haven't done that for some time.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I can't build anything as nice as some of those

Well, I'm sure you could, especially when it could be done for probably 1/4 of the price! lol

The one my friend had was full 2X4 wall, 2X6 roof, fully insulated, and very nice! He wasn't a carpenter, but took his time and it looked better than most production ones and the material quality was MUCH better!

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm sure you could, especially when it could be done for probably 1/4 of the price! lol

The one my friend had was full 2X4 wall, 2X6 roof, fully insulated, and very nice! He wasn't a carpenter, but took his time and it looked better than most production ones and the material quality was MUCH better!

That sounds like it was very very heavy

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
This might help to use a non flatbed camper (aka a regular pickup bed camper) on a flatbed, instructions are for a trailer but something similar could be done for a flatbed truck.

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why couldnt you put a camper on a flatbed??? The bottom of the camper is flat, and so is the bed, like the box on a truck. Just have to put the jack extensions on the front like they have for duallys to get around the width of the deck...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Around here in hillbilly central, we see deercamp rigs with slide in campers set on flatbed utility trailers all the time, but usually when folks put them on flatbed pickups, they usually rig some kind of toolboxes under the sides to support the things to help keep the balance, , otherwise they can get a bit squirrily with noting for the tiedowns to pull against

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance