First 7.3 Idi Turbo need some help

Babe

Reaction score
hey guys got a 1993 7.3 IDI turbo edition. today whent to turn key and the wait to start light did not come on. it is pretty cold so i found it unusal. it is comming on now. any thoughts what it could be?also what kind injectors/glow plugs should i buy what the best bang for my buck that will give me good power. thanks guys

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find the glowplug controller(not sure where it is on your truck since you have a turbo) and follow the wires from it over to the pass side inner fender. There should be one large wire or two smaller yellow wires. Make sure this wiring is in good shape and if there are any wiring plugs,, make sure they are not melted. I would not change anything till you run it awhile and work the bugs out of it.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's right in front and to the passenger side of the turbo. What you are seeing at the top right of the pic is the intake of the turbo.
You must be registered for see images attach

If the gp's (glow plugs) cycled normally, then it could be the wire running the WTS light is loose or not making good contact. Glow plugs should be Beru / Motorcraft only. For injectors contact Mel at Conestoga Diesel. Look up the website.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the IDI Tech articles and FAQ stickies... They will help you hit the ground running.... Welcome!

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the glow plugs search for Motorcraft/Breu ZD-9 glow plugs. The general opinion is to only run these since others have had problems with the aftermarket plugs and the tips swelling making them difficult to impossible to remove.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Oh, and in case you didn't realize it....
WELCOME TO THE SITE!!!!

Please do not think that this site is just a bunch of dummies posting about stuff they don't know. This is the real deal--the true experts. Read what they advise you to read, do what they suggest, and report back what you you see/hear. Ignore the guys at the corner garage--they probably don't have the base of experience that is present here ( Unless your corner garage is Conestoga Diesel!) You'll hear guys tell you they can time your IP by ear--do not believe them. I only say that to emphasize to believe what is posted here. If someone does post some bad information it gets corrected pretty quickly.

If you pay attention, you will become knowledgeable and the owner of a sweet running IDI turbo. Be patient, dealing with Previous Owner's problems may take a while to sort out.

Again, Welcome to the site!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. We found that Bb code injectors are far better than the G codes. I too found this out several years ago after rebuilding my engine and running g code turbo injectors.. Boy was I ever wrong bout g codes. I had maybe 5000 miles on a set of g codes and purchased a set of Bb codes from typ4 aka Russ of Oregon.. What a world of difference. It felt like I had 2 more cylinders added to my V8 idi. I even timed the engine the same so it was definitely the Bb code injectors. Mel at Conestoga diesel in Pa is about the best in the country for pumps, injectors and a few other things too. Please read the Hall of shame forum. Ebay sellers that are listed in there are there because of how they have treated members here. Be careful buying from the lowest cost ebay seller. you will not be happy with what you get. there is a supposedly rebuilder located in the panhandle of Florida that tests, and then paint his rebuilt pumps they sell for cheap. Please don't buy crap and come here asking for help. Another known poor business person is in Tenn. they have really ripped off several members here. So before you buy from anyone please ask for reps from this forum. For the most part we have no axe to burn against any shop but we do try to help you get the most bang for your dollar..