Finally got to tow with the IDI...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I finally got to test out how my truck tows a "normal" trailer this weekend...other than that monster of a chow trailer I've moved for my old Scout unit a couple of times cookoo this is the first time I've towed since adding the turbo, and is certainly the first time I've pulled since the trans swap last summer. The trailer was 2K empty, and I think the car that was on it was in the 4K range, and I think the truck's "wet" unloaded weight (including tools and whatnot) is about 7K.

Overall, I'm pretty happy...the truck didn't like hills all that much; I had to slow down to 45 (and occasionally to 35) on the Grapevine and Pacheco Pass to keep EGT's from climbing through the roof (I was trying to keep them at or below 900), but keeping 55mph in 5th gear on flat ground worked nicely...and EGT's stayed between 500 and 600. I wonder how things would have fared with a wastegated turbo?

I got 16mpg coming down (with the empty trailer); don't know yet how I did coming back home since I haven't refueled. But, other than the wipers acting up (as described in another post), the truck did beautifully.

For more info on why I went down there, take a look here cookoo LOL ;Really Although only one of them is an IH, I now own 3 IDI's...and my cylinder index (not counting the Scout boats or my mom's POS) is up to 20 now...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Warden said:
Hello!

Overall, I'm pretty happy...the truck didn't like hills all that much; I had to slow down to 45 (and occasionally to 35) on the Grapevine and Pacheco Pass to keep EGT's from climbing through the roof (I was trying to keep them at or below 900), but keeping 55mph in 5th gear on flat ground worked nicely...and EGT's stayed between 500 and 600. I wonder how things would have fared with a wastegated turbo?
tim-
its time for an IC if you are going to use it for heavy duty hauling:D

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:D :D :D if I had the $$, the front clip would be in pieces right now for the IC install...that and a hydroboost setup...

Wasn't one of the turbo companies looking for a guinea pig to help make an IC kit for a non-gated turbo? :Sly

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
35-45 mph on those hills? that's not bad for anything hauling a load there. Heck I remember when most small cars couldn't hold that on those hills, a bunch still can't.
I remember driving a pinto up to Bakersfield to see my sister20 someodd years ago, the trucks were passing me like I was standing still :rotflmao

------------Robert

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I pulled a overloaded 2000 lb trailer up the Grape Vine with my Jeep CJ-5/AMC 390 at 65mph back in '97. It didn't even break a sweat. Okie

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I think you are being overly conservative limiting your EGT to 900 degrees. You will get many opinions as to how high the EGT can go safely. When I bought my Hypermax kit I asked them what they found to be a safe limit. They told me a IDI could run at 1250 degrees all day long. I have my pump screw turned up 2 1/2 flats and I can't get the EGT above 1100 even with the propane on. There is a lot of power to be had by letting the EGT go a bit higher. I do have a cold air hood scoop intake that is supposed to help keep the EGT down.

Jim