finally got my truck back :) well 98% of my truck

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
are we talking about the same stuff ? i mean like roll on rhino liner, i imagine after good prep and good weather/ paint booth it would seal and never rust? just like if it were in a truck bed, my pickup now has had it since 2004 and is still jet black and holding strong?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
never heard of this... please elaborate

It get minor pinholes in it. Moisture gets in and is trapped. Since the undercoat bonds to itself so well, it does NOT flake off like paint. Then the rust is getting worse by the day, untill you put your foot thru the floor because you could not see the rust.

When i worked at the dealerships and I did undercoating on new vehicles, I wanted to cry

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
brad is right, rusty jones is a ****. lol had two vehicles so far that the undercoat was what was holding the carpet in.

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
so all i can do is prime it every summer? lol i plan on using it as a work truck ( i know i know) and during the winter i will be climbing mountains, literally climbing mountains haha , and all the rocks ill kick up i dont want to then hit hardball and get salt on it thus rusting my new floor pans etc out?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
NOT prime.

PAINT the bottom of your floor with a good quality paint. Something with chip resistance. Then EVERY year if not twice a year power wash the bottom side of your truck and touch up as necessary

hawaiian808

Whiplash FTW
Reaction score
jee, thats gonna be expensive to paint the whole frame and under my cab etc , damn ,

almost as much to paint the body of my truck

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Harbor Freight paint gun and hook it up to an air compressor and go to town. I'd slather it.

Primer holds moisture, btw.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
jee, thats gonna be expensive to paint the whole frame and under my cab etc , damn ,

almost as much to paint the body of my truck

Single stage Commercial paint. Like Farm implement paint or rustolium, about 50 a gallon. And do NOT add hardener, it will stay softer and not chip as easy.

Automotive paint that you use on the top side of the truck chips VERY easy

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
mmm i didnt know that ! thanks brad lol, hell rustolium comes in a can XD

rattle cans get way expensive real fast

You can get a gallon of Rustoleum Pro at Lowes for.... $26.

If ya do this then you can justify having a spray gun... ant imo the harbor freight ones work damn good for what one pays, I've used them countless times and if thouroughly cleaned after every use(I mean clean them to the point they are completely spotless everytime) they will last a long time.

austin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If ya do this then you can justify having a spray gun... ant imo the harbor freight ones work damn good for what one pays, I've used them countless times and if thouroughly cleaned after every use(I mean clean them to the point they are completely spotless everytime) they will last a long time.

Definitely. Well worth the money, and they're cheap to begin!

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
NOT prime.

PAINT the bottom of your floor with a good quality paint. Something with chip resistance. Then EVERY year if not twice a year power wash the bottom side of your truck and touch up as necessary

Thanks Brad, I like this idea.:sly Never really swayed towards undercoat, now I know why.;Sweet Would a wire wheel and rust neutralizer be a good prep for this?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Thanks Brad, I like this idea.:sly Never really swayed towards undercoat, now I know why.;Sweet Would a wire wheel and rust neutralizer be a good prep for this?

Yes. But for the rusty spots I would use Eastwoods rust encapsulator, POR15, Chassis saver or the like as a "primer" then top coat with something soft