Filters

Saskredneck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know a thread about filters... Just curious on what most people are running for filters on their IDI's? I've switched over to fleetguard filters (cummins) because I get them cheap from work and don't have to drive into the city at all plus there are numerous filter heads I can use when I delete the stock fuel filter and water separator, having a hand primer is going to be nice come filter changes! I have been a long time supporter of wix and have/are using them on all my gas powered fords but will be switching to fleetguard as well for the convinence of going to the parts department at work and getting it. Filters to avoid? Personally I won't put any Fram filters on anything I own, tried one the first weekend I got my diesel because it was a couple day wait to get anything else and the thing leaked just like I seen many frams do when I worked at ford and has customers come in saying they changed their oil and its leaking now. Haven't had any luck with penzoil filters either seen a lot of the same garbage as the frams. Motorcraft are great but getting them is a hassle for me so that's why I don't run them. Also noticed the oil comes out a lot cleaner and isn't nearly as thin when using good filters like wix or fleetguard compared to cheaper ones.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a single fram filter leak on my, and thats all I ever use for oil. Oil up the gasket, spin it on a turn and a half after the gasket contacts, good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For my oil filter I run the motorcraft fl 1995. Its the larger filter made for the powerstrokes but it works great for us. It also has a finer media made for the cleaner oils in the psd engines. Run most any filter but please don't run the Fram filters. They are of a very poor quality and are known to fail.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never had a single fram filter leak on my, and thats all I ever use for oil. Oil up the gasket, spin it on a turn and a half after the gasket contacts, good to go.

I used Fram filters for years including in my IDI and never had a problem. I use Purolator now but only because I can get them cheaper in the States than the Frams in Canada. Seems like there are two camps - the Fram haters, and those who have never had an issue with them.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction. fram is all I ever used for my gas engines. I use the motorcraft oil filter for the powerstrokes on my idi as icanfixall mentioned.

IIRC, it adds an extra half a quart of oil?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The problem with the fram filters is internally. The parts they are made from are suspect. Its cardboard and other issues too. The tests prove they are an inferior filter. Now they are better than nothing but many filters out there are much better at trapping the crap found in engine oils. I plan to instal an oil bypass filter soon. I know the color of my oil wont change but the damaging stuff in it will be removed. Thats the win win idea behind bypass filtering the oil. Only a very smal amount is bypassed at a time. I will take the supply to the bypass off the drivers side water jacket or the top back of the engine block. I have 3 open ports on this block to choose from like any other idi block. The return is the easy part. It will be a fitting in the mechanical lift pump block off plate and that line will probably be rubber because its zero pressure. the oil feed to the bypass will be braided stainless steel thats for sure. Have the filter mounted as high in the engine bay and it will gravity drain easily. then the filter changes to it are simple and clean.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im using baldwins i got from ebay at a great price. According to those that know fram has upped there qc(about time!). I actully have a fram for my next oil change.

Reaction score
Oil: Motorcraft FL-1995, though I used to use the base model Purolator (the PSD version) when I first bought the truck because I bought a bunch of them at a closing K-Mart for next to nothing. I'd have to search for it again, but I once found the tech specs on the Motorcraft filter media, and it's very impressive.

Fuel: WIX 3417 (eliminates bowl and WIF sensor). Will change to WIX 3617 (no bowl, but DOES include bung for WIF sensor) the next go-around. I have nothing against the original design; I just couldn't seperate the lower bowl from the fuel filter the first time I changed it and I've stuck with the same ever since, lol!

Air: Banks Sidewinder (aka K&N) filter. I know folks have a certain disdain for K&Ns, but I've run their filters (air and oil) and intakes for years on nearly all my vehicles. The only issue I ever had was a severely over-oiled air filter in a family vehicle one time (from the factory), but all I had to do was wash it out, re-oil it, and spray out the MAF sensor and it was good to go.

Mike

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I found mobil one M1-402 oil filters on Amazon for $9.98 for a pack of two. Has Anyone run these?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do sell Hastings filters cheap. Call me if you want a price.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil: Motorcraft FL-1995, though I used to use the base model Purolator (the PSD) version when I first bought the truck because I bought a bunch of them at a closing K-Mart for next to nothing. I'd have to search for it again, but I once found the tech specs on the Motorcraft filter media, and it's very impressive.

Fuel: WIX 3417 (eliminates bowl and WIF sensor). Will change to WIX 3617 (no bowl, but DOES include bung for WIF sensor) the next go-around. I have nothing against the original design; I just couldn't seperate the lower bowl from the fuel filter the first time I changed it and I've stuck with the same ever since, lol!

Air: Banks Sidewinder (aka K&N) filter. I know folks have a certain disdain for K&Ns, but I've run their filters (air and oil) and intakes for years on nearly all my vehicles. The only issue I ever had was a severely over-oiled air filter in a family vehicle one time (from the factory), but all I had to do was wash it out, re-oil it, and spray out the MAF sensor and it was good to go.

Mike

Exact same case for me with all three of mine, even switching to the 3617 for the WIF light.

Unless I'm forgetting something, we run STP oil and air on everything else we own except the Sienna that we have a dealer service. Won't run Fram on anything, never have.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
At $9.98 for two I couldn't pass that up. I change my oil every 2500-3000 so every dollar counts.
I am on my psd.
Oil stays cleaner a bit longer.
It filters better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk