Fat Mat

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So, Today I ordered 200 square feet of Fat Mat sound insulation. It will be here on Friday. Then its tear out the complete interior of my crewcab and start sound proofing it. I'm not thinking its that bad of a job but it probably will have some hangups along the way. I'm using the same material that Darrin has installed in his truck. Thats probably a good investment because the Cummins are free with the sound of horse power.....LOL :D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Sounds good! I think what it is that the Cummins sounds so bad that I am trying to cover it up,.. Hee hee..

I have to say that I WILL miss the sound of the V8 Turbo IDI,..Oh wel.

Anyway the Fat Mat is pretty easy to work with, it just takes time so don't be in a hurry. If you are going to make the investment in time and money, do it right. I can allready tell a difference and don't even have the interior in.

I ordered 200 sq ft, I did the cab from firewall to the bottom of the rear windiw, behind the door panels, front of the firewall, and the celing. Then the scraps I stuck inside the doors. Guess what I still have 100 SQ feet left. Yes I only used half of it! I still want to do under the hood, but that won't take a lot.
They say that if you double up the Fat Mat, it helps the sound deadening by 3 times. So I may double the floor, well see.

When are you starting this project?

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
i hear there is some stuff that is the same thing as fat mat at homedepot that guys been using.. do a search on google or somthing, they say its what fatmat buys and stamps their logos on.. supposed to be way cheaper also.

Ray

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
its call peal and seal. its asphault based roofing material but does the same job. it isnt as easy to work with and is very sticky. i thought bout it for both of my pigs, more so the 93 F-150 because of my stereo. also, there is regular foam mat u can buy that works in conjuction with the matting material.

BTW, how much did the FatMAt cost ya?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The Fat Mat cost me around $240.00 for 200 square feet with the shipping included. The shipping was $40.00 per roll but if you buy 2 they take $10.00 off.... Not the best deal in town but surely the best soundproofing around. I found the peal & stick at Lowes for $47.00 per roll but was afraid of the possible smell. The wife would crap up a storm if it smells bad...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got a whole bunch of high density foam industrial pipe insulation sheets 3' x 4' x3/4" at a freight salvage a while back. I used a bunch in the travel trailer when restoring it and the stuff worked wonders so the truck will be getting a bunch of the leftovers of that project when I get time. Ought to really quiet things down along with helping the AC out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online