Fat Mat Going In Nicely

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yesterday I started installing the Fat Mat sound proofing in the back seat area. When I pulled up the carpet I could really "hear" the noise the bare steel could make. After I had down one layer the sound was gone... So I installed another layer. The material information states that laying down two layers you actually get three times the sound deadening affect. Now the front section is planned for today. P.S..... If you are not using some kind of gloves your hands will end up looking like a pair of smurf's hands. The blue fat mat printing on the foil backing side easily rubs off on the hands.... Looks really funny too.:D

tractorman86

Reaction score
cool glad it is turning out good. i have a couple questions tho...
how much are you getting this for an where. is it as good as dynomat? i wanna do that on mine and just weighing my options i definately need to at least line my hood.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I finished the Fat Mat installation and it sure works great.... I wouldn't want to do it again but the sounds are really differant now. I may even run the motor up past 3000 rpm now...:D I bought it off of Ebay and the 200 square ft cost me $250.00 with the shipping. I have about 80 square ft left because I don't know how to get the headliner out of the truck. Its a crewcab and I see no way for it to be able to get out of the truck. Darrin Tosh was doing this job and I got my information from him but never asked about the liner. I installed two layers on the floor and doors but only went up the firewall till I got to the factory sound proofing in the cab. I probably at some time in the future remove the dash panel and heat-ac ducts and sound proof the rest of the firewall but not any time soon. Thats really a job.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall hearing that the headliner on a crew-cab or an extended-cab truck really can't be pulled out unless the windshield or the rear window's removed, and you'd go through there. I was able to get my headliner out of my extended-cab through the door, but not without slightly damaging the backing. I can't imagine any way to get a crew-cab headliner out through the door in one piece.

I checked my shop manual, and all it says is remove the various trim pieces, then remove the headliner...nothing about how. :dunno

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Glad you got it done, Congrats!

I was able to remove the headliner but it took to guys and had to be real careful. I had to curve it, without bending it. It came out and back in without damage.

I only did one layer, probably should have done 2 since I only used 1/2 of what I bought, but I am on a time crunch to get the swap done. I still want to do the underside of the hood. I also covered the floor up to the factry insulation.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
If you already have the interior guts out (trim pieces, seats, etc) why can't you just lower the headliner and install the mat, then raise it back up?

How good is blue mat compared to Dynamat? I would like to do my truck in something, just can't find the time to do anything to it right now.

John

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel 200 square ft. is way more than you need for a extra cab and under the hood. Give Fat Mat a call and ask how much you need.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it done, Congrats!

I was able to remove the headliner but it took to guys and had to be real careful. I had to curve it, without bending it.

I am pretty sure that a Curve and a Bend are one in the same:rotflmao :rotflmao ....are ya sure it wasn't .....had to curve it without KINKING it?:puke:

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i know a lot of people use peel n seal or ice and rain guard from lowes or home depot. its a rubber roofing under layment that has been proven to be just as good as dynoman, fatman, etc...basically and ashphault based sound deadener. its a lot cheaper and it comes it different sized rolls...i have a roll of some im gunna start to install soon.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Do these mats work to deaden road sounds, engine? Thats my greatest concern, not acoustics. I would like to make my diesel's cab as quiet as possible. Should I spring for fatmat or just use the peelnseal stuff?

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
The in cab sound deadening project was so successful that I'm thinking of replacing the flaky decaying hood pad with more of the same stuff.
http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html
The stuff I have left over is the older "brown bread" product and I'm a little wary of it turning into a huge gooey mess when subjected to underhood heat...Any body already done this? Or will I have to leap into the abyss for the sake of research?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance