Fan problem

Brutis

Work in Progress
Reaction score
I posted a few weeks back about a possible blown engine. Well, I finally had time over the weekend to check into some things. I swapped injectors (some thought maybe the issue was stuck injector). I also, drained the oil and refilled. Well I pulled the plug and a bunch of what looked like fuel came out first -kind of blue an yellow looking mix, then thinned black oil. There is oil running out the lower back corner of the passenger side valve cover. I was really hoping switching injectors, and oil would allow me to be back on the road, but when I cranked it on it still idled really rough and there was a clattering sound.

I noticed that once I shut the motor off the fan was making a rattling sound (not sure if its the same or different sound). Any ideas on the sounds? If the fan clutch is bad, what would that cause. Finally, can I switch the fan and clutch from my '94 parts truck to my '90?

Thanks!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my water pump started to fail (cheap Autozone remain ..... JUNK) the fan would make a pretty good noise. I could move the fan/clutch back and forth about 1/8-1/4 of an inch as the bearing in the water pump had comitted suicide. How much movement is there in the fan? Yes, you can use the fan/clutch of the other IDI. But, if the issue is with the water pump, it won't get better with the fan/clutch swap.

Heath

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it could be the water pump bearings like Heath said, but it could also be the clutch bearings - try to wiggle the fan and see if the shaft moves with it, this will give you a pointer where the looseness is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin