Failed return cap

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this is a new one on me. Anyone else ever have a return line cap blow out the side?
What would have caused this? Plugged injector?

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard or seen that before? Idk how maybe injector got stuck closed and it blew back out the side of its return port somehow?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Yes, that injector is stuck open. Had the exact same thing happen. Looks almost exactly like the pic I posted when it happened, but your valve covers are way cleaner.

The injector gets stuck open and the compression and heat blow back through the injector and the cap is the weak point. Mine started blowing by through the injector bore shortly after that (pass copper washer and between injector body and bore in head).

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I guess I now get to play a version of Russian roulette with the old untested injectors I have. Hopefully I will get lucky!

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first choice of old injectors seems to have worked. She's running again and better at that. Thanks for being online today with your knowledge Crash!
I now have one BB injector in with the D code, but really they are all questionable. Time to save up for a set or at least build a pop tester [emoji3]

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a failed OPEN injector. Remember the compression is around 500 lbs during cranking speed. so my guess is that will be much higher at running speeds. The heat from the running engine burns out the plastic caps as you have shown very well. Glad you have it up and running again easily too.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a failed OPEN injector. Remember the compression is around 500 lbs during cranking speed. so my guess is that will be much higher at running speeds. The heat from the running engine burns out the plastic caps as you have shown very well. Glad you have it up and running again easily too.

Thank you! What is it that makes them fail in this way? Something inside breaks? Or?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! What is it that makes them fail in this way? Something inside breaks? Or?

Take it apart and see - just unscrew the nut at the bottom.
It's probably mostly shot, but keep the parts for a core.
Depending, the steel body is probably fine, and some of the bits inside might be as well.

Also, considering your location, talk to R&D idi performance for your new injectors - he is in Maple Valley, so you might even be able to arrange to pick them up!
He's a great guy to talk to as well, should be able to answer questions about what you want to buy.

R&D injectors come with new injector nozzles, which is the wear part.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it apart and see - just unscrew the nut at the bottom.
It's probably mostly shot, but keep the parts for a core.
Depending, the steel body is probably fine, and some of the bits inside might be as well.

Also, considering your location, talk to R&D idi performance for your new injectors - he is in Maple Valley, so you might even be able to arrange to pick them up!
He's a great guy to talk to as well, should be able to answer questions about what you want to buy.

R&D injectors come with new injector nozzles, which is the wear part.

Thank you Mcrobb, I think I will pull it apart for educational purposes.

Justin has been on my radar for some time now, after all he is only like 30 minutes away [emoji3]

Just need to save up for a new set. And get some of the other projects done...

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
No problem. Freaked me out when it happened to me. I'm sure mine was a result of drama due to being hit on the driver's side about a month before as all the driver's side injectors started having issues. It also sprayed fuel on the exhaust manifold all the way home, turning a 15 minute drive into an hour and a half trip (drive, stop, soak up fuel with a rag, let it cool, repeat).

I get my reman injectors from Russ. Holding up well, but I've got one that must be popping off at a different pressure now. He was very helpful and sent me one ahead of time with a return kit so I could get the truck to a heatable place to work on it when he got a full set rebuilt for me (it was winter).

Justin has been low on cores recently and busy, so lead times may very.

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand was the new injector?

No new ones yet, the one I replaced was a Stanadyne D code. The one I put in was a Cav that I pulled out of the F250 back in 2004... I actually found the receipt for the ones I put in. [emoji846]

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel is definitely an option too, being the father of this site. However Justin is 30 minutes from me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86