factory posi

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
as you can see from my sig, only 1/3 of our trucks have lockers in them. my low mile 83 had a 4.10 Dana 70 locker swapped into it from the 3.07 Dana 70 open for pulling 15k-20k pounds of hay... lol

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've been wobbling back and forth over the lockers for my 4x4 build....I'd like to have cable or air lockers front and rear if I had the coin......Maybe a power trax in the rear and an air locker in the front would work. I have to drive this thing daily on dry pavement so I have to be able to steer it...LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been wobbling back and forth over the lockers for my 4x4 build....I'd like to have cable or air lockers front and rear if I had the coin......Maybe a power trax in the rear and an air locker in the front would work. I have to drive this thing daily on dry pavement so I have to be able to steer it...LOL

Well IMHO...with a full size extra cab truck LWB I would have no problem with a locker in the rear...you will steer fine compared to SWB trucks, LWB are a whole lot more forgiving when lockers are in play.

Ya the cable or air or electric locker in the front would be real nice as an addition later on. It is easy enough to find (come across) a Ltd slip for a D60 so maybe that could be thrown in for cheap who knows.

I have considered the Power Trax and if I am not mistaken they make a soft locker now that has less impact on day to day driving yet still provides a full lockup when needed.

Depending on which axle I end up with ....will ultimately set what locker I'll run. Rockwell = Detroit, D70 = cheapo lok rite. 8.8 = Ltd Slip (have this is ok)

IMHO lockers are best especially with full floating axles because in the rarest of occasions when an axle may break you can still run on one axle if need be!

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Once my 4x4 gear is done I want to do something for lockers....I don't go serious offroading so a tightly shimmed factory rear posi would probably suffice but I would like to have an air locker in the front for "tough spots" or the temptation of a big swamp hole...:Thumbs Up I wouldn't go bush hogging with this pig until I had some decent 33 or 35" rubber on it and a BF winch....Picked up a nice tow hook today, freebie from a 5 ton International. I'm going to make a 2" receiver for the front of my truck to accept a tow hook, tow ring or a winch. I'd like to have a winch that I could use front or rear depending on the situation so I'll wire it for both...I also have another design in mind for a snatch block affair in the rear for lifting heavy stuff into the bed of my truck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.