factory posi

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im really wanting to get rid of the one wheel peeler. Ive seen ford 10.5 posis for sale, and dont want to spend $500 on a new trac loc from detroit. Are the factory posis any good??? I dont really wheel my truck, just fishing off some dirt muddy roads

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ick. "Posi-traction" is a GM term.

The Ford limited slip, like most, is clutch based. They aren't all that tight from the factory, and a used one to fit a 20+ year old truck is probably so worn as to be useless in low traction situations. They can be rebuilt but at that point you might as well invest in an aftermarket locker.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ick. "Posi-traction" is a GM term.

The Ford limited slip, like most, is clutch based. They aren't all that tight from the factory, and a used one to fit a 20+ year old truck is probably so worn as to be useless in low traction situations. They can be rebuilt but at that point you might as well invest in an aftermarket locker.

TYP4 just over the hill from you in Gaston/forest grove

MrRoboto, sorry your right TracLock is that better... LOL

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are not as bad to rebuild as most people think, I have a little over half of what a PowerTrax locker would cost invested in mine so far.
A rebuild kit is around $130.-150. I think. You can buy it from Ford or I called Randy ring and pinion, and they stock it also. You can rebuild them to be as tight as you want it to be with the supplied shims.
I'm collecting parts to swap one in mine right now, so far I have:
TracLoc carrier (Ebay) $75
Rebuild kit (Ford) ~140
08 aluminum diff cover (Ebay) $40
I might replace the bearings while I'm in there but my point is you can get one for less than the $400 PowerTrax if your willing to hunt for the deals.

Reaction score
How can I tell if I have a track lock? I know my crew cab is open, as I cannot even get up my dads driveway in the rain. I do have two more "parts" trucks though, and maybe one of them has one I can swap in?

p.s. all sterlings.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jack up the rear and spin one wheel... if the opposite wheel spins in the opposite direction , its an open diff, if it spins the same direction and sometimes its hard to spin, then its a Posi/locker/trac lock

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The last time I looked the rebuild kits were cheap, less than 1/2 the cost of a locker....And locker's can be dangerous in the rain or snow if the bed is empty and you are driving too fast...I have a factory posi, I'm going to rebuild mine in the spring and I'll shim it a little tighter than stock.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would really like either a limited slip, or a locker in mine. I hate having one wheel peels, hopeing that it'll posi up so I can get some traction (off-road, I dont want to push my luck doing that on pavement, I can just imagine doing that and hearing a loud SNAP with something broken). I think I have a Dana 70 though, dont know if that'll make it easier or harder to find a limited slip/locker.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy way to tell if it's open or l/s, look at the axle code, 2 numbers denotes an open diff(39 for example) and a letter and a number denotes a limited slip(H9 for example.) In good condition, the 10.25 limited slips work OK, but, personally, other than the tire wear, I prefer the predictability and tractability of having the rear welded... I miss the one I swapped out of the diesel into the 460 truck, but, it was just too ******* tires when towing.

That said, if I was going to run a limited slip, the later 10.5 units are a better design, and when new work MUCH better.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
82f100swb
These trucks are getting to be 20 years old. And would be pretty hard to tell if someone swap the rear end, ford messed up on the door code and so on. The easiest way is to jack up the rear end and spin the wheels. And if your feeling froggy pull the cover and look.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised how rare it is to come across one of these trucks that's had a gear swap, most owner of these trucks were not enthusiasts, and gear ratio was not something that they were about to go out and change. The door code is usually a good point of reference. Usually a truck that's been re-geared will have something else to show for it, and that's usually a lift and tires, but, even then, people seem to forget about gearing and just accept the power loss...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All you guys wanting Trac-Loc or Posi or Ltd slip ya I agree..they can be shimmed up and made tighter....I have one in my Bronco and well it's better than nothing I sure cannot wait till I get a true Locker! even if it's just a el easy/cheapo Lok Rite or easy locker...

You LWB truck guys have it made and a locker wont be all that bad in winter comparatively the SWB Bronco will be a handfull for sure...I already find the Trac-Loc useful in the winter, just not quite usefull enough!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
On mine, the axle code on the tag was wrong. Mine is supposed to have an open diff, but I popped the cover and it has the worn remains of a trac loc. Couldn't tell by driving it ( and getting stuck in the mud out back for a few weeks last winter ) but jacked up it tried to behave like a posi and I pulled the cover , and , sure enough, it has a trac loc .

What is the trick for shimming them up tighter? Do you need to buy two kits, or re use a couple of the old plates or??? I hear this thrown around alot, but so far , haven't seen the procedure or any specifics.
If I can rebuild mine enough to be able to get the 5er out of normal soggy steep camping situations, it wouldn't break my heart over having to replace the carrier and spend a fortune throwing a locker in.

-----Robert

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rebuild kit comes with an assortment of shims and instructions. The shims go behind the clutches. Simple way, put in the biggest shim you can.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online