Factory gauge readings?

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering what the norm is for the factory gauge readings on our trucks with 7.3 IDI. My temp gauge reads from R to M, my OP gauge reads about on the O to R. My truck has 148K and seems to run very good. Only burns a little oil which I hear is normal in these engines anyways.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently you haven't heard about the Ford oil pressure gauge in the later trucks(87-up?)

A normal oil pressure gauge has a sending unit with a variable resistor, and this moves the hand of the gauge to the proper reading.

These oil pressure guages have a idiot light pressure switch hooked to them. If you have over about 5 pounds of pressure, the switch is closed. In the cluster they have a resistor installed in the circuit to make the gauge read in the middle of it's travel. So if you have 6 lbs of oil pressure, your gauge reads in the middle. If you have 30 lbs of oil pressure, your guage reads in the middle. If you have 100lbs of pressure, your guage still reads in the middle.

The best thing you can do is add a good set of aftermarket gauges to your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online