Experience with Insurance co total and buyback?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in kali, the insurance companies is king over the consumer. it is a state requirement for proof of insurance, a valid and current policy is electronically sent to the DMV and is tagged to your VIN. if you have a payment schedule and fail to make payments, your policy lapses and so does your registration. DMV is notified electronically by the insurance, and in turn, DMV comes after you. The only good thing, is they have to take action on claims in a timely manner and they cannot abandon total loss vehicles on bodyshops and tow yards. this is especially important when the recovery/ tow and storage bill exceeds the value of the vehicle.
here's a comp I found on CL for you. hope it helps. remember, the first rule if "fight club" is that it doesn't exist. :D
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5432564543.html

pafixitman

Reaction score
in kali, the insurance companies is king over the consumer. it is a state requirement for proof of insurance, a valid and current policy is electronically sent to the DMV and is tagged to your VIN. if you have a payment schedule and fail to make payments, your policy lapses and so does your registration. DMV is notified electronically by the insurance, and in turn, DMV comes after you.

Maryland is the same in that regard. I bought the Grand Cherokee from my sister when I moved back. The title and tags where transferred to my father from my sister as a "gift" for a small (relatively speaking) DMV fee and no state inspection, wait 6 months and my Dad "gifted" me the vehicle with same tags for a small DMV fee. I had to provide proof of insurance and birth certificate to prove the child / parent relationship. I provided a copy of my dec page showing coverage limits and a copy of the vehicle insurance card. Got the title in 10 days. 2 weeks later I got the request for FR19 (proof of current and valid insurance) because "our records show you are operating an uninsured vehicle..." Really??? It is so bad that Geico (largest insurer in Maryland) has a link on their web page specifically for FR19 requests from Maryland.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maryland is the same in that regard. I bought the Grand Cherokee from my sister when I moved back. The title and tags where transferred to my father from my sister as a "gift" for a small (relatively speaking) DMV fee and no state inspection, wait 6 months and my Dad "gifted" me the vehicle with same tags for a small DMV fee. I had to provide proof of insurance and birth certificate to prove the child / parent relationship. I provided a copy of my dec page showing coverage limits and a copy of the vehicle insurance card. Got the title in 10 days. 2 weeks later I got the request for FR19 (proof of current and valid insurance) because "our records show you are operating an uninsured vehicle..." Really??? It is so bad that Geico (largest insurer in Maryland) has a link on their web page specifically for FR19 requests from Maryland.

Yep. I had this happen to me. The mva tried to fine me for lapse in insurance first time I changed insurance companies. One ended at 11:59 the other started at 12 midnight. Learned my lesson to overlap at least 2 days here.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Yep. we had actually 3 day overlap. His ended night before DMV visit and mine started at the beginning of the month. What gets me is the increase of "Historic" plates. Read the law... That ghetto'd out '87 Honda Civic you are driving at 5 am on Thursday on 795 ain't going to any car show, event etc.

93banksidi

Reaction score
Back in July, my dad got rear ended driving my 93 f250(bent the hitch receiver, broke a leaf spring, bent the bumper and tweaked the frame under the leaf hangers). I had geico liability on the truck and the party that hit me had an out of state(safety national? Don't quite recall) policy supplied by his employer. Geico pretty much told me I was on my own and after 3 weeks of nothing being done by the other parties insurance, I hired a lawyer. Within two days I had a rental truck and the f250 went through its first insurance adjuster. First adjuster quoted $1500 worth of damage, offered me a check and I told them to shove it.. after taking the truck to 3 different body shops and everyone refusing to even look at it, I ripped the bumper and hitch off to prove the tweaked frame then was offered $3000 to total it out. I then provided my lawyer with 8 different for sale ads ranging from 92-94, 2wd single cabs to 4wd crews, all 7.3s and ranging from $4500-8000. At the end of October, I finally settled for $5200 after buyback.

Find a number that you would be happy with and stick to it. My truck is a 93 f250, d-60 swapped with 373k on the clock(at the time of accident), has rust issues and is in no way a perfect truck so better offers can be made for better trucks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah... there is that.... I'm told they will throw the book at you if you hitch a trailer to a truck with historic plates. I see dump trucks and stuff loaded with historic tags. I called MVA to ask about that when I was looking at trucks because I found a dump locally in decent shape. Nope. Cannot use the dump... I suppose you could do demonstrations at a festival with it...

But I digress.

[/threadjack]

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@93banksidi I hope it didn't cost too much in lawyer fees to finally get that settlement. Fortunately when I was hit, the lady was insured by Liberty Mutual. Must say, that was a relatively hassle free insurance company to deal with.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Learned my lesson to overlap at least 2 days here.

In ND, it's against state law to have more than one policy covering a vehicle. :dunno

Of course, they count insurance by the day, if it ends with one company at 12:01 am monday, and your new policy goes into effect at 11:59 pm tuesday, there was no lapse as far as the state is concerned because it was covered both days. ;Sweet

93banksidi

Reaction score
@93banksidi I hope it didn't cost too much in lawyer fees to finally get that settlement. Fortunately when I was hit, the lady was insured by Liberty Mutual. Must say, that was a relatively hassle free insurance company to deal with.
Lawyer didn't get paid off the truck claim but will be getting a nice chunk(30% if it goes to court) of my dad's injury and loss of work suit. Crap happens, just have to have a bumper/hitch built and welded on now.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Nothing better than a nice beefy custom bumper to keep things in check should it happen again.