Exhaust - 4 inch or 5 inch - which way to go

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok I'm getting ready to give Sherri my Christmas wish list and was wondering if I should ask for 4 inch or 5 inch exhaust.

I don't want something that will drive me out of the cab when I'm pulling the TT but I want to give her room to breath when I'm lumping up the hills.

I'm looking at the MBRP Aluminized exhaust - no stainless for me since I don't plan on keeping the truck for years upon years. But I don't want to lose my turbo mounted Pac Brake either (I love that little gem). I want to keep the cost down because well frankly I'm a tight *** plus I can't see dumping a ton of money in this rig when it will more than likely be replaced in 18 months. But I would like to give her a little more useable umph in the pants than she has now.

As it stands right now the EGT's while towing are acceptable for the speeds that I want to tow at (65-70mph) but would like to see them drop some while pulling the hills/mountains. No I don't have to back out unless it's a pretty steep grade but I don't like hanging out at 1100° while pulling the hill if I don't have to.

Currently under her is the stock exhaust with no kitty kat and no muffler only the resonator remains. I get a slight drone at around 1800rpms that I would like to see go away but what I have been doing is I just don't drive at that rpms I will just speed up but sometimes while in traffic I'm sort of forced into that rpm band.

EMD Diesel Power

Misguided Trident
Reaction score
If the turbo and engine is pretty well stock.... no wild power coming out of it.... 4 inch is your best bet. 5 inch is too big unless you are over 500 horses or run twin turbos.

Also the 5 inch setup will make you lose the turbo-mount Pacbrake. They do make a 5 inch brake.. but its downstream-mount.

I had a 4 inch exhaust on my stock '96 and liked it. No kitty or resonator, straight through muffler for some noise control. Was actually a nice setup for me.

MUDDY

Reaction score
go 4

yep, as emd stated under 500hp ya probably dont need 5 in.

cost,,,,,,,,,quite a bit more for 5.

sound,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,,,my 5 inch w/ a resonator is just as loud or louder than my 4 inch straight. to my ear, a 3 inch staight vs a 4 inch strat the 4 inch apears to have less noise and drone. i have both the shorty and the full lenght systems and full length much quiter

as to stainless,,,,,,,yep, overproced. stainles worth it on a revolver but not an ex system. will last years w/ aluminized. as to keeping the rig for 18 months,,,,mistake. ya dont want to let that 12v get away from ya :(

also,,,,rip is one to call for good prices on exhaust. 1 866 211-1533

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I tried to pull up Rip's website but the link I had saved in my fav's is no longer any good that is why I was looking at the MBRP (or whatever it's called) I seem to remember rip's being cheaper... I'll give them a call here in the next few days and see what they can do for me.

I highly doubt I'm anywhere near 500 shetland ponies I only have a #10 plate at the moment (gonna grind a stocker to match a #100 on a saturday at work).

I just seen where they offered the 5 and thought I would ask.

Mark Craig

Advertising Sponsor
Reaction score
argve,

The MBRP is all we sell here at DPPI and we are currently selling more 12 vavle system than ever, seems the stock system are just about hitting their lifespan and failing pretty fast all over the country etc. The MBRP gets you some distinct features the other systems don't you get 100% welded hangers just like the stock system is built and all the welded hangers go right back into the factory rubber mounts for easy install. You also get a one piece tail pipe like the stock system was built, looks better and fit perfectly too, especially if you have a 4X4. The two piece tail pipes have a clamp that shows really bad from the rear etc. Call us if you have any questions we'll be glad to help you.

Mark @ DPPI

rubberfish

Reaction score
EMD Diesel Power said:
a 4 inch exhaust. No kitty or resonator, straight through muffler for some noise control. Was actually a nice setup for me.
Have to agree 100% ;Sweet

oHBMQUINN

Reaction score
I have a jeggs mini subway tunnel exaust 4 inch aluminumized with the muffler on my 1994 CTD suncoast valve-body & converter #0 plate no wastegate stage IV htturbo housing with 60inducer wheel 370 injectors 191 DVs K&N filter with mod air box 410s DRIVE-LINE 1 drive shafts and a dry shot of NOS the exaust is turbo back for $299.00find acheaper one let me knowand wont rumble you out of the cab can be installed no muffler mine has the muffler installed on it lowers egts ect and dont break the bank

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online