Engine teardown adventure

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well fellas, finally got around to rolling my bad 7.3 into my garage after it's been sitting under a cover out front since October of '21. Gonna share what is wrong with it as I tear it down.
It originally came out of an unknown history 1988 F350 that I dismantled to build my crew cab. Odo at the time had roughly 89k on it. Could have rolled over a time or two. It originally had a bad dmf, someone tried to retrofit an electric lift pump to it and failed, so I bought it not running.

After years of it sitting on a stand I converted my old man's 1989 crew cab into a diesel from 460, and it lasted just a few months, as it was burning a gallon of oil every 200 miles. Compression was barely in spec from each other, I don't have the sheet anymore, but #7 was the lowest at 330psi, if I remember right. Took the pax bank head off to find that hole all scored and wavy, most likely broken ring from too many visits from the ether bunny.

So here we go.
You must be registered for see images attach

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Got the pax head off. Is it normal for a n/a engine to have so many melted pistons? About to take off the drivers side head.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Also, all four holes on the passenger bank, right near the top it's wavy. At first I thought it was damage, but all holes? Is that normal for these engines?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well I guess this is where I pause for now. I got 7 and 8 pistons out, and managed to break #7 because there's a sharp lip here, and the oil supply ring got hooked on it, bent and cracked the guide for the piston. Seems like only half the bore has this sharp lip. Weird.

So who wants to press liners in for me? :joker:

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
The break

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you don’t have to stop..

To your previous question, I usually think through it in “ACE”, abrasion - contaminants in oil or foreign material in cylinder, corrosion - products of combustion / I throw cavitation in this bucket and erosion - metal on metal wear between rings and walls.

If you sleeve it, you should use the liners that you machine a lip/ledge on the deck. The glue in ones tend to drop.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The logistics don’t work out either for one off machining near me. In my area street racing is very popular, and I don’t mean Japanese even though that’s a component. I’m talking 80s g-bodies, built $, local cars have been on street outlaws. I bring that up because there’s multiple machine shops that I know could handle an IDI but dollar for dollar it’s hard to beat promars program. Plus promar will do upgrades for you under them. IE head studs, main studs.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the pax head off. Is it normal for a n/a engine to have so many melted pistons? About to take off the drivers side head.

Many people tend to incorrectly think that NA engines you don’t need to monitor EGTs

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well it's also later in the evening and I've spent literally all day out in the garage tidying up, so now it's lazy time.
I'm not familiar with the processes that the liners are pressed out/in, and I'm not certain what I'll do with this block just yet.

I envision having a built one I can swap into my truck when I am ready for it. My current engine is running just fine, but want to future proof it. I already have a set of head studs set aside. Not looking for crazy power, but a little better than a turboed would be nice.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's also later in the evening and I've spent literally all day out in the garage tidying up, so now it's lazy time.
I'm not familiar with the processes that the liners are pressed out/in, and I'm not certain what I'll do with this block just yet.

I envision having a built one I can swap into my truck when I am ready for it. My current engine is running just fine, but want to future proof it. I already have a set of head studs set aside. Not looking for crazy power, but a little better than a turboed would be nice.
I’m reverse that schedule today. Just going into the garage now.

Agreed with the approach to have one ready on standby.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
This is definitely going to be a slow build. Between costs, motivation, work schedule, and parts availability, I hope maybe have it done in the next year or two. Will probably have to ship the block to someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.