Engine issues please help

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been up most of the night thinking about this thing.
So if I remove the rockers and put them back where they belong, that will cause the valves to be closed. Right?
Then if I blow compressed air into the hole for the injector... I shoud get air out of where it is leaking, correct.
I do not have a shop, so I am trying to decide if the whole engine needs to come out? If so then I have to find a place to do this. if it is just the head, then I can pull it in the driveway.

What do you think?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well yanking a head while the engine is still in the bay is a PITA to say the least - but yanking the engine isn't much fun either.

Yes if you remove the rocker assembly from the offending cylinder then the valves should be closed. So blowing air in will tell you where the leak is at. I would blow it in the glow plug hole but that is only because it's easier to get a seal on that hole than it is on the injector hole - just personal preference...

Yes if you have to replace the sleeve they can do just one cylinder but your gonna have to yank the entire engine and do a complete rebuild to do that - crank, pistions, rods the shebang has to come out/off.

What kind of warranty is left on the engine?

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranty is expired,
My concern is what happened if the piston broke. Guess I will not know until I get the head off. Trying to find some way to decide what to do next.
Can the oil pan be removed with the engine in the truck?

Wish I could afford a newer truck right now. Got so much $$$ in this thing. At what point do I cut my losses and move on? Sad thing is, I like the truck...

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
dsblack said:
I do have a turbo, So I guess I will have to buy that also.
Man, this truck looks like travis's old truck, now it's acting like it. I can not afford to replace the engine again. DAS sleved the whole thing, so worst case, can a shop just remove and replace that sleve?

Thanks
Doug

HEY NOW,thats my truck your talkin about!You don't want for her to hear this and have to come up there rod knock and broke ring smoke(Yea,she is getting worst every time I Crank her up to get some oil moving!) and all!

Reaction score
DSBlack,

Pull the head. I've done it on mine without pulling the engine. Yes they are heavy. Do you have a cherry picker? If not you can do it yourself, carefully. Sit on the radiator support and lift it off...set it on your lap...rest...move it to a rag you set on the radiator support next to you...rest...have a friend support the head while you get down...you and your buddy can then both lift the head out. The right way to get the head out is with a picker, but this will get you by.

If you can remove the oil pan in the vehicle you'd have to unbolt the engine from the motor mounts (still attached to the tranny) and jack it up to get the oil pan off. I'm not sure if this is possible and I don't think this is your best option.

In my opinion I'd pull the head. Look at it this way. If you have to do the whole engine you'll have to pull the heads anyway. If it's just the head you're covered. If you just don't want to pull the head/pan at all...you can always drain the oil and see what you see in terms of shrapnel. If it's a connecting rod or piston, likely you'll have some fragments in the oil.

If you do pull the head, the valley pan is like $30...if you go this route get it from navistar. They do a better job packaging them and are less likely to have bent sealing surfaces.

Hope it's just the head!! Let us know how things are going.

Paul

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Doug, this may not be as $$$ as you think. I am doing a top end job to my truck right now. In my yard no less because I, like you, have no shop. I pulled the heads by hand. I am going to buy a lift to put them back in though. I bought pretty much all new parts, and it has cost me ~$500-700 for both heads. If you replace the parts for that cylinder and the valley pan, likely less than $100. I went to IH for everything except gaskets. The hardest part really is getting it done :rolleyes:
Good Luck
James

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, Time.... And they are working me like a dog at work. Guess I know what the OT money is for now. Was to be for a shop. Now isn't that funny.

Well, I got my neighbor to loan me his shop again. He is the one that let me use his shop to install the engine in. Now again... What a great neighbor!
So he will help me get it in there Monday, and I will continue then to track it down.

thanks for the support. I hope that this turns out ok. I am really worried right now.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got this mostly apart today. Turns out that the smaller valve (exhaust?) has a chip in it. There are marks in the piston. So I am going to remove the pan, in the truck) and replace the piston, and the bearing, and the valves and the rockers and pushrods and get it back up and running.
Now looking for parts.
How do I post a picture for you to see?

Thanks
Doug

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
to post a pic, in the advanced posting mode scroll down and click the manage attachements button. Be advised that the file has to be smaller than 195k, or it wont up-load.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Piston may be ok. May be marred, may look masty, but it may be structurally ok. Take a good look, but I don't think an inframe of any sort is easily done in these vehicles.
Good Luck
James

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at work now. So I do not have the photos. Should be able to do it tonight.
Everything else looks good as far as I can tell. I am just not interested in being in here again. I still do not know if I can get the pan off or not in the truck. But without the turbo and the head, it looks like I can lift it quite a bit. Don't want to pull it either at this point.

taber45

Reaction score
I agree. Do not replace the piston just yet, if its not too late. The pistons take alot, and I doubt if it is cracked or broken by the sound of it. Just buy a new valve and valvetrain and put it all back together. If you are thinking about getting rid of it, just get it going. Undoubtedly, it will go another 20-30000 without skipping a beat. Clean the piston up as good as you can and inspect it. Then you should know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.