Engine issue update

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my bad dcp injectors with some R&D injectors. When I was cleaning my injector bores with all the injectors out, I was cranking the engine to remove the carb cleaner I noticed a bit of smoke coming out from the area of 1/3/5 cylinders I think. (Is this a compression issue?)

Now after getting every thing back together I took it for a spin I still have issues with my valve cover popping and split second engine acceleration ,while in (D) drive, but when I keep it in 1st up to 20 mph then back down to idle then back to 20 mph she doesn't act up as much but as soon as I put her into reverse and back up maybe 20 ft she acts the same as in (D) drive. (Is this a timing issue?)

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I unplugged the cold idle advance solenoid, all of the valve cover popping and the split second acceleration stopped, I recently got my truck compression checked and I have 2 cylinders that are low , 150 and 230 with the rest at Avg of 330 and I also have a lower end knock.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm going to replace it with another used idi turbo long block from a reputable auto parts business that comes with a warrany. All of my accessories work fine.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What type of compression tester did you use. What cylinders tested low and were they next to each other. Every cylinder number is cast into the intake manifold almost between the two bolts that connects each intake port runner to the heads. Sometimes a low cylinder reading is because of a bad compression tester seal.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He used a glow plug style compression tester and the 1, 3 cylinders were low. He also said to confirm they are low compression, he measured the heat from the exhaust manifolds.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary probably knows better, but my noob self wonders if it's just a head gasket and the low compression is causing fuel knock.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Whenever two cylinders are testing low and they are next to each other usually thats a good indication its a bad head gasket. Only sure way to know is remove the heads. If your going to do one head I suggest not doing only one. Your deep into the job and who knows how long the other side is going to last. Sadly the passenger side is the low cylinders because they number 1-3-5-7 on that side and you need to remove the ac box to make more working room. Its a big heavy head too. Getting them off the block is hard but. Replacing them alone is nearly impossible without damaging the gaskets. Its best to have friends hang the heads on a 2 inch pipe and then lower it on the block when you sitting in the engine bay guiding it on the head locating dowel pins. Use a razor scraper and brakeclean to make sure ALL the head gasket is removed. Only a stain can be left on the heads or the block and not cause a head gasket leak. Absolutely no oils like a finger print are allowed either.