Electric lift pump idea.....

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So iv'e been thinking (got a lot of time on my hands i'm at the hospital waiting for a new baby) there are 3 old 6.0 HFCM's sitting on the workbench at work, they all still work just don't put out enough pressure to feed a 6.0 (all had between 35-40psi). Let me here opinions and ideas about using this in my IDI. Not worried about filter costs, iv'e got a Godenrod see thru that I will move to the suction side of the pump so I don't have to but those stinkin expensive 6.0 filters...

I'm thinking put a pressure gauge on the filter head, mount the pump, then put a regulator between the HFCM and the filter head. I can't find where the pressure is adjustable at the HFCM so I will have to use a regulator, would a cheap 4-8psi carburated regulator work or would I have to step up to a high pressure efi regulator????

Just looking for ideas.....

dagreendeville

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you would have to step up to a efi one and the cost of that you could just buy a electric fuel pump thats new and not on its last leg, on another note arent those 6.0 fuel pumps pressure relief operated by a checkball and spring

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive heard that theres a spring in them that wears and causes low fp. ford sell a rebuild kit with a new spring that bumps the pressure up to 60ish.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
You will most likely need a bypass style regulator to bleed off he extra pressure, they can be had but are usually in the $80+ range to get. The cheap ones are a dead head style that will most likely burn put the pump since it will just stop the flow if it reaches pressure.