Electric Fuel Pump 12V source?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm installing an electric fuel pump in my '94 7.3L IDI: what's the best/easiest source of switched 12V in the engine bay?, and what's the best suggested location for the pump, for serviceability?
thanks for all help.
Dan K.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As sad is it is to tell you I have forgotten just where I got my 12 volts key on position from but... I know the best place for the red is in front of the tank changeover switch. You will see 2 drilled holes in the frame between the changeover valve and the front of the truck. You mount the pump there. It will be noisy enough that you will hear it running in the cab even when the motor is running. I used some 1/4 inch thick rubber and its quieter but I still can hear it. Kinda lets me know its still working. Make sure you use about 1 ft of 3/8 hose before and after the pump. Oh yeah... You will be taking a diesel bath and you don't want diesel in your underarms.. It burns.... What I did was cut the plastic line and already had the pump installed with the hose on it. Then I cut the line and quickly connected the hose to it. The hose going to the motor will drip till its done so have something under the truck to catch it. The rubber line going to the motr off he electric pump is plugged with anything or clamped off with a C clamp till I have cut the plastic line and connected it. Kinda messy but gets easier was you have done it a few times. Just be fast... Do not try to pump thru the mechanical pump. When that mechanical diaphram breaks and it will, you fill the oil pan with diesel. The the diluted oilruins the bearings and cylinders along with everything else.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Icanfixall:
Thanks for your response, it's really appreciated. I have already removed the mechanical pump and cover the hole with the appropriate cover. I will follow your advice re installation of the pump. Now I just need some hints as to what's the best place for the 12V. Otherwise I'll have to dig under the dash, I guess, which I was trying to avoid.
Thanks again,
Dan K.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is not a KEY-ON-HOT source anywhere in the truck that is designed to be constantly pulling an electric fuel-pump.

What you SHOULD do is route the pump wires through a RELAY that is triggered by a KEY-ON-HOT source.

Also, the relay TRIGGER-WIRE should have over-ride switching capabilities, such that you can manually turn ON the pump with the keys in your pocket for such chores as filter changing; and, you should be able to KILL the power to the pump EVEN when the key is ON.

There are many times you will want the key ON without the pump running.

The more switching/valving options you employ, the more useful the electric-pump will be.:thumbsup:

I have a valved quik-couple port such that I can pump fuel from my truck into anywhere else I desire; I also have things valved such that I can transfer fuel from either of my three tanks into any one of them.;Sweet

Also, if an electric-pump is going to be your ONLY pump, then I would hook up TWO in by-pass fashion, such that when one failed, all I would need do is flip a switch to bring the other into play; or, at the very least, I would have a second pump behind the seat that I could quickly install.

Many is the frantically panicing person I have seen trying to find a replacement electric-pump after hours.cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I always carry a spare Holley Red behind the rear seat... That area has quite a following here because of all the spare stuff back there.:D

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
I think i'll make myself a canvas organizer to hang on the wall behind the back seat, that is a great place for spares, thanks!
Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online