Electric Fans Conversion from other makes / models

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am making a trip to the pick n pull this weekend or next. One of the things on my list is electric fans. For those of you that have done this already, what makes and models should I be looking for to grab a setup from?

Did you wire from a manual switch or use a thermostat? My truck runs fine now without a fan at all so I was thinking a manual switch to a relay but if I can find a way to use I thermostat to turn on at 200* that's not too expensive I would.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv got a helpful write up over at FTE that should give you some ideas:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ooling-for-the-6-9l-7-3l-navistar-diesel.html

i was inspired for my swap from this sites tech section though.so be sure to check them out! two nice ones.for both size radiators are here.
actually i should probably copy this thread here and see if Mel and friends would slide it into the tech section too so it's also here.
edit,it is done;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...ine-Cooling-For-The-6-9l-7-3l-Navistar-Diesel

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am making a trip to the pick n pull this weekend or next. One of the things on my list is electric fans. For those of you that have done this already, what makes and models should I be looking for to grab a setup from?

Did you wire from a manual switch or use a thermostat? My truck runs fine now without a fan at all so I was thinking a manual switch to a relay but if I can find a way to use I thermostat to turn on at 200* that's not too expensive I would.
If you look in the TECH section you will see some E fan conversions and be able to make choices based on what you read in those threads.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pusher fans:

MB (Mercedes benz) 80-90's, they have a mechanical puller/elec pusher. Make sure you get the engine side wire connector if you want it plug and play. MB's connectors can be disassembled, and resoldered (bullet-style) to deal with the biodegradeable wire harness.

BMW: usually smaller, so you can fit 1-2 in a row along the bottom of the radiator.

Puller: **** Toreass: 90's, get one with the three wire plug, it's a two speed fan. Those keep Jeeps cool, and Jeeps are notorious for running hot.

Jeep Cherokee 87-99, elec puller. They're smaller, about the size of the BMW fan, and you can put 1-2 in a row along the bottom. pull quite a lot of air for their size, but do draw some pretty high amp numbers.
Jeep Grand Cherokee 99-04: elec puller, large fan, takes up most of the radiator real estate, relatively thin (in 99-04s they had elec stock, mechanical optional for tow package). Relatively unreliable, but do pull quite some air.

I'll update as I remember more.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the inventory online and there is only 1 aerostar which sounds like the best option but it might not have the fans still. It would be better for me to make a puller setup because my front opening is quite a bit smaller my rad since it was made to hold the smaller v8 rad. That way I could get it to pull air through the whole rad instead of just the center.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure your alternator is up to the task. The stock one on these trucks can't really handle the "good" fans that really move a lot of air. You may need to do a 3g swap while doing the fans also.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search on the Lincoln Mark XIII fans, similar to Taurus/Sable but flow more and draw less current.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that the fans(s) from a Ford Windstar work great. Anyone have any experience with them. They are quite plentiful at my local pull-a-part.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The windstar fans pull similar CFM's to our manual fans. That's what I use and they work very well. Read FORDF250's post above and follow the links, he covers it in spades.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The windstar fans pull similar CFM's to our manual fans. That's what I use and they work very well. Read FORDF250's post above and follow the links, he covers it in spades.
I have heard similar info to on Windstar fans, I have one sitting here its damn impressive for what it is. I've got one slightly bigger too ROFL

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a fan from an 04 Windstar on my '90. Didn't reuse the old shroud, instead just mounted the new fans directly to the radiator with four bolts. I didn't wire the motors to come on independently, since the only time they are really on is when the A/C is on, and I want all I can get over the condensor. They work really well, fit nicely and do a good job of cooling.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWD Volvos used a pretty good size fan too, though it's a single large diameter one rather than 2 smaller and thus might be harder to fit.