EGT's

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I know it's been stated time and time again on here but I don't have much time this morning or internet that is fast where I am at now to search for this so thanks in advance for the info!:hail:hail

What is the threshold for safe EGT's? I was pulling a hill pretty hard last thurs when I was moving all my stuff pulling a trailer and looked down to my pyro to see the needle almost to 1200:eek:, I immedietly let off the throttle and had no trouble and have since put another 1000 miles unloaded on the engine, anyone care to tell me how close I was to converting my 7.3 pistons into liquid form?

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on where your probe is. Before the turbo that shoundnt hurt it muc. After the charger, that could be closer to 1500* preturbo. I before my new ip and injectors, mine would hit 1200* preturbo easily, and when towing, it got to 1500*:puke: So far mine is still running great.
BTW after the new moose and injectors, we run 600* unloaded crusing and have hit 900* pulling a gooseneck, and that was being stupid with it.;Sweet
Matthew

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Probe is at rear of drivers manifold, so your telling me with it mounted there I was still being safe? and that 1500 would be more of a max?

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1250 is the temperature that the piston actually melt. I would not go over that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I personally wont pass 1100 degrees. An aluminum piston is alloyed so it wont melt at 1220 but.Its getting soft and will end up a mess in the cylinders from deforming a bit. Once its deformed it will scuff the bores. If the ring grooves crush and pinch the rigs you have a piston thats ripping apart the cylinder every time it goes up and down.Remember the oil being sprayed under the domes to cool down the metal.That really helps. A few members here have lost engines due to plugged oil squiter nozzles.So you know they work very well at keeping the pistons cool.How does a top fuel drag engine keepthose pistons from melting with thefuels they use....:dunnocookoo They usually only run them for a four second race. then they get replaced.....:slyLOL

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
Thanks, 1100 seems like a safe number in all reality I never actually hit 1200 but it was close and my heart did skip a beat...