EBV nastiness

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
well it appears that all the egg nog got to my old truck over the holidays and something is up with the EBV

it gave me some codes saying something is up with the sensor and even in 20 deg. weather it won't close

the tube looks like a biznitch to get off so i'm hoping that the sensor just died.. but with my luck it will probably be stopped up

is there a way to clean the tube out with it still on the motor? also has anyone had the sensor stop up on them and it just needed cleaning, if so how did you clean it...

money is kinda tight right now, santa came down most peoples chimeney and left them toys... he emptied my wallet this year

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tube really isnt that hard to take off. Use a flare nut wrench if you have one so you dont round the nuts off. There virtually is no way to clean the tube ON the manifold.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
thanks fellas, i appreciate the help

my big holdup with taking it off the manifold is that it seems like every time i do something that involves a exhaust manifold i break a bolt off... and that would be very uncool on a truck i need everyday

but looks like i have no alternative so i'm gonna try it this weekend, i have friday and monday off so that will give me some extra time if i need it

in general (or in a attempt to save some money) does the sensor usually go out or does it just get stopped up

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
There is no reason I can think of to remove the exhaust manifold....just the boost tube.

Some have had luck just flushing out the soot crud at the base of the sensor....buy an extra can or 2 of brakleeen.

W/O going all techno....after cleaning out sensor base, if you have access to air and a DVM, just chuck up a rubber tipped blow gun with the reg set to 20 psi and use the DVM to see if the sensor reacts to the air press.

Don't have actual volt figgers in my grey matter and can't find the specs I once saved :confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto what geo said, dont remove the manifold. Just take the tube off the manifold, the sensor should be mounted behind or next to the HPOP, so disconnect is made there also. What works really well for cleaning it is a cable thin enough in diameter to fit inside the tube and long enough to pass through, chucke it up in a 3/8 variable speed drill and feed it in while you are also spraying some type of solvent like brake kleen or similar. You should be able to buy a real thin piece of cable at any hardware store.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i wonder does the extra soot/smoke from a chip/tuner make these things clog up faster? i know some guys with 250-300K+ on there stock trucks and have never had a problem with them... i waited untill the warranty went out on mine at 100K and tuned it up and now at 130K it is clogged... or is it just like the old saying goes "stuff happens"

i'm going to try the wire trick tomorrow.. thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jlayne said:
i wonder does the extra soot/smoke from a chip/tuner make these things clog up faster?

:peelout Yup :peelout

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online