Ebay $60 AC condenser?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$60 isn't that much money to take a chance on a Chinese part. If the Chinese part fails, then you are out $60, time, and other materials.

stick with the thing that work

And R-134 is how much these days? Plus labor for recharging unless you've got an AC machine. One leak and you've pretty much spent more than the good quality unit. Remember, you get what you pay for..... (Hopefully)

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on my own 87 f250. When I bought it in February it had a flammable refrigerant in it. So I got rid of that, flushed it out with fast drying AC solvent , put a new accumulater on it and put R134a in it.

It was working great! Then one day it wasn't doing so well so I pulled the r134a out and found the Orifice completly plugged with Dessicant.

I'm very limited with parts here. I'm stuck with whatever the local auto parts stores have in stock (Cheap chinese junk). The Accumulater that blew up was from Napa but still made in China. We don't normally special order parts because everybody is in a hurry.

I'm not real happy with our 2 Radiator and condenser suppliers. Fin and tube count is very low on them. Was just wondering if the fleabay stuff was any good. Prolly not for just $60 shipped.

I'm at the shop now and I pulled the Orifice and it's clean. So I either got it all out or it's jammed in the condenser. Maybe I can find a good condenser @ pic a part?

Oh, Spec is 3.5oz oil per lb of R134a. I Put in 10 oz to go with my 2.75 lbs of R134a.

For giggles I put one of those VOV smart tubes in it this time. We have not had much luck with those but I had it so I thought I'd try it.

so you think you have a blockage in the condensor? what was the pressure when you charged it? low side would go to a vacuum it you had a blockage.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A blockage can imitate an axpansiion valve or orfice tube .. and cause your high pressure side to get cold behind the blockage ... I had a peterbuilt system do this when the dryer got plugged ... FYI ...

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i do AC work. my own stuff gets worked on last since it doesn't make me money. the trucks are fixed to the point they all are DOT legal and then some, but I won't spend money on creature comforts. heck, I even have OEM am/fm radios in the trucks only too. you can listen to the news and traffic but you'd better be paying attention to how the truck sounds and the two-way radios.

I won't drive anything without a/c. The weather here currently has been so hot and muggy in the morning that i'm sticking to myself before i even get to work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't drive anything without a/c. The weather here currently has been so hot and muggy in the morning that i'm sticking to myself before i even get to work.

if I was living in TX full-time I'd be doing the same. Out here in the SFBA, it's rarely humid and often no warmer than 85*. This weekend otoh, went close to 100* in the middle of the day.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get refrigerant for practically nothing and we have 3 recycling machines so my playing around with my truck on weekends does not cost me anything really.

I put the VOV Orifice tube and so far it's working great! The instructions said to use 90% of the old R12 charge when going to R134a(I usually just go by 2.2x-2.5x ambient temp on the high side when doing a retrofit).This 90% worked out to 2.94 lbs of R134a.

High side pressure was 220 with an ambient of 102F. Low side was 44. This was with the blower on high,doors open and the truck running @ 1500 rpm, fan clutch roaring.

Today it was 106F with a real feal of 116F and I Had 40F air coming out my vents! Much colder than it was with the Orange Ford Orifice tube I had in it.

I'm going to leave well enough alone for now.

I figure the condenser isn't too plugged, I really gave it a good back flushing with AC solvent and 200psi of Nitrogen. Next time It gives me trouble I'll replace everything and go with the largest Paralel flow condenser I can fit in the truck.

1Turbo10

Reaction score
Put one from e bay on last year,condenser was good quality and cooled better than the factory unit. Napa sells whats called Freeze 12 works just like 12a. except it's cheep. I am in Georgia and it's all working great for over a year now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726