Eaton Transmission-7.3idi

wyatt tatman

Reaction score
Looking into a different trans. for my 7.3idi NA. Kinda had the thought of a Eaton 10 speed, anyone know what clutch housing I would need for this swap. Yes I know the trans shifts with air, will have on board air all mounts no issue there just any insight into this will help. TIA.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Most of the MDT manuals use SAE2 pattern on their bellhousing.

For the IDI, I imagine the ford adapter comes off, and you need the flywheel housing for idi-to-sae2.

wyatt tatman

Reaction score
Most of the MDT manuals use SAE2 pattern on their bellhousing.

For the IDI, I imagine the ford adapter comes off, and you need the flywheel housing for idi-to-sae2.
Yes I imagined that need insight on to where I would find that been searching but dont seem to finding anything.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old dump trucks, school buses, and old u-hauls. They all at some time used the idi and had the truck transmissions. So they would have the different adapter than Ford used. Not sure if its the #2 you need though.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you went with a 4x4,5x3 or another combination you would not need air to shift.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a thread for a few weeks back

Goat

wyatt tatman

Reaction score
If you went with a 4x4,5x3 or another combination you would not need air to shift.
Yes but if I'm already gonna have air on board why not just put an air shift transmission in truck is gonna be used to haul quite a bit, from previous driving of some old farm trucks that had the 10 speed they can take the torque and deliver it quite well.

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of your 10 speeds will more then handle an idi. Your most common 10 speeds are twin shaft units and are rated for at least 1000 ft lbs, so an idi will be fine. There are 10 speeds out there that are "light duty" in the 6-800 ft lb rating, but they're rare to come across. Most MD stuff rated at sub 1000 ft lbs will be single countershaft units, in either 5,6,or 7 speed.

Your idi came with the sae2 housing when used in an IH. Those housings shouldn't be hard to find, neither should the flywheel. The problem you'll run into is a lot of your HD transmissions will actually be an sae 1 though, so finding a ten speed with an sae2 might prove difficult, even more if you want an OD unit.

Reading on the internet, a lot of guys have trouble shoehorning those transmissions between the frame rails, as they're pretty wide. You'll no doubt have to do some floor pan mods, or a pretty substantial body lift, to clear the sae housing. It's a lot bigger then the ford piece. The clutch set up can also get complicated, as they're usually mechanical linkages and in either a push or a pull arrangement.

My bus has an sae2 w/ sae3 adapter and an allison at545. The spare engine has an sae2 housing and I'm planning on mounting an allison mt6xx to it. There's a handful of threads on here where guys discuss md/hd trans swaps, but I don't know of any that actually got it accomplished.

IH-GM IDI

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong. But isn't the only benefit of a 10 over a 8 the addition of low and low-low. Seems that a SAE2 8 speed would be easier to come across than a 10.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance