Eaton Rearends...?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I drive a 1979 Louisville....it has the 40 Eaton rearends. The rear tandem is the "new" fine spline hardware, and the front rearend is the "old" style coarse splines.

We are having a problem with the front axle and the through shaft breaking the coarse spline shafts. Up until yesterday, the truck broke 2 input shafts on the power divider, and two through shafts that the yoke goes on to on the back of the front rearend.

This morning while hauling a load, I stuck the truck into reverse and eased up on the clutch and heard a loud "pop"...there goes the power divider input shaft again!-cuss Had one of our other dump trucks towed me to the jobsite where i dumped the load and called the big wrecker to come get her.

I had that input shaft in the truck from the day it was new until now...and I am NOT ******* my gear....especially if it is not my own truck.

We are pretty puzzled as to what is causing these shafts to break. Any thoughts on what to look for? I am going to tear it apart tomorrow and IF the right parts show up this time I will have her running in no time.

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
I am guessing you are either having bearing failure or either getting some inferior replacement parts. First guess usually is a result of heavy foot on the loud pedal, but you already answered that one.... ;)

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
That's what my boss thought too the first time it broke...about the heavy foot. But 3 different drivers broke 5 shafts (3 input and 2 output), and I drive the big rig like an old man in a station wagon.

We decided to just rip the front pot out and axle shafts of the housing and replace it with the fine spline eaton we have out back. Then she will have the new fine spline gear throughout and it will never break a shaft again!

Everytime she broke a shaft, the boss said it was worth $1000 in parts alone.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
That's what my boss thought too the first time it broke...about the heavy foot. But 3 different drivers broke 5 shafts (3 input and 2 output), and I drive the big rig like an old man in a station wagon.

We decided to just rip the front pot out and axle shafts of the housing and replace it with the fine spline eaton we have out back. Then she will have the new fine spline gear throughout and it will never break a shaft again!

Everytime she broke a shaft, the boss said it was worth $1000 in parts alone.

Sounds like the answer. Where are the shafts breaking? If they are snapping rite at the base uf the splines you where getting beat shafts for sure. The fine spline setup reduces areas of stress (splines anent as deep) and are usually stronger.
Good Luck
Ken

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
for some reason she keeps snapping the splines off right at the bearing where they loose the support from the bearing. Both the input and output shafts seem to snap right there. What we can't figgure out is one of our other drivers, who beat os the same style rearends for years NEVER broke a single shaft, but 3 drivers who are easy as hell of the trucks managed to go through 5 different shafts....:dunno

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
for some reason she keeps snapping the splines off right at the bearing where they loose the support from the bearing. Both the input and output shafts seem to snap right there. What we can't figgure out is one of our other drivers, who beat os the same style rearends for years NEVER broke a single shaft, but 3 drivers who are easy as hell of the trucks managed to go through 5 different shafts....:dunno

Well,there is your problem.She likes it rough!:peelout

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Is it possible that the power divider isn't unlocking? Or, if air pressure drops for some reason, it locks in randomly?

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
My vote is wear on other parts over the years or maybe crappy non OEM parts.Maybe the gears have wear and play causing slack and a shockload to the shaft now?Maybe side support is gone due to wear on other parts?I would totally take the housing apart and check everything at this point.1000 bucks a snap,crackle,and Pop hurts in todays ecconomy!

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If its breaking rite at teh bearing it sounds like something is out of line. It could have been machined wrong rite from the beginning:dunno At this point I would change the whole thing if it where my truck. Down time is BAD
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online