EAOD tranny slipping or electronic issues?

Omnious

Reaction score
E4OD tranny slipping or electronic issues?

Good day all,

Well lets start off by saying i have a 94 IDI Turbo with the E4OD. The truck has 131k miles on it. I do have the Banks Trans Command installed on the truck.

For the past 6 months, every now and then the transmission will feel like it jumps into neutral while driving at different speeds and temperatures.

To get it to go back into gear, I just let off of the pedal so the RPM's fall and it will re-engage to the selected gear. This past week I was driving the truck and it jumped out of gear but i had to slow down to almost a complete stop before it would go back in gear.

The transmission has the correct fluid level, the temperature of the tranny hovers around 180 to 200 all day long, even towing.

So my question is, is the transmission having mechanical issues or is it electronic? Do i need to rebuild the tranny? Please give me suggestions as i do not want to rebuild the tranny if i dont have too.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start by inspecting and cleaning the connector @ the MLPS,followed by testing the sensor.
the connector has been revised on replacements.
remember,test first.replace parts when verified failure.

Wrong Gear Starts

Bad or mis-adjusted MLPS
Can cause wrong gear starts, no upshift, falls out of gear, and high line pressure = harsh upshift and engagements. May or may not set code 67/634 (MLPS out of position).

Note
MLPS is located on driver's side of transmission case.

MLPS adjustment
Place manual lever in Neutral. Line up I.D mark on sensor with l.D. mark on plastic bushing. Tighten bolts.

To check MLPS

1. Hook red lead of DVOM to pin # 199 (MLP sensor signal).
2. Hook black lead of meter to pin 359 (sensor signal return).
3. Set meter to ohms.
4. Move manual lever through the different positions and compare DVOM reading to chart below.

Manuel lever position
Meter should read:
P 3769 to 4608 ohms
R 1304 to 1593 ohms
N 660 to 807 ohms
D .... 361 to 442 ohms
2 190 to 232 ohms
I 80 to 95 ohms

Important
If the MLPS needs replacement, use Ford part # E5TZ-7A247-A. This kit includes a new style harness connector. You must replace the connector to use the new MLPS. By sliding the old wire separator from the original connector up the harness you can leave it in place as you install the new connector. This helps to keep the wires in their original location.

Note
Make sure you clean the harness connector with brake clean and apply some dielectric grease to the pins. This will ensure a good connection. Use Permatex part # 67V (dielectric tune-up grease). You can get it at most auto parts stores.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edit your post. Change EAOD to E4OD so it's correct.

The above analysis could be the problem, also the tach sensor can cause that problem.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From past posts I recall a similar issue with the torque converter cutting in and out which was tied to a brake light issue. The TQ on the E40D cuts out when the brakes are applied (lights come on). I believe there is a connection to the cruise control as well.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
If you buy this part from the dealer it will go by the new name Transmission Range Sensor.

If you get it from a parts store. You might have to ask for a Neutral Safety Switch.

This will avoid the blank look from the parts guy.:rotflmao

Omnious

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. This is my project for saturday so we will see what i can find out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin