E4OD

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
Has anybody changed the pcm on an e4od? How difficult? And where is it? Hopefully not too bad?

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
In the cab on the driverside, behind the kick panel. I think there's a bolt that holds it in from in the engine compartment (center of the plug). Have you checked and cleaned ALL the connections from the sender to the PCM to the trans?

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Loosen the bolt in the middle of the plug from the engine compartment side. Pull connector off PCM. Remove plastic kick panel and pull out and down on PCM. There is a metal clip/bracket that bends down out of the way. The PCM is held in place by a rubber boot through the firewall. It was WAY easier than I thought it was going to be. Especially with it being behind the aluminum kick panel bracket.

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
Alright thanks everybody. I checked with an ohm meter the two wires that come from the tach sensor. They are good from the sensor all the way to the pcm. So with the tach not working and the tranny acting up... Does anybody else think it could be the computer being the problem???

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
My trans was doing all kinds of stupid and erratic stuff before it fried. I changed my pcm and all my sensors and it did absolutely nothing. I suspect a wiring/connection problem was the issue.

JDaulton

94CCF-350
Reaction score
Only once in a while, and only for a minute... But when the gauge (tach) does decide to work, everything else works as it should. I think that these problems are related. And i'm hoping that if i get the tach issue resolved everything else will become right again. or at least i hope! Do you think that the tranny could be going out and that is causing the gauge to malfunction? I am under the assumption that the tach is read before the tranny. So if the trans doesnt know how fast the motor is spinning, it doesn't know what to do???? At least this is what i've come to understand

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tach and PCM receive the same signal IIRC, it comes from the tach sender. You checkd wires for continuity, but have you replaced the sender itself? They do go bad with age and mileage, and when they die the tach reads zero at idle and the PCM goes all silly.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the tach signal goes through the pcm to the tach. make sure the pcm has power. relay failures are common.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.