E4OD VS. 4R100

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
What are the differances between the e40d and the 4r100?
I have seen people talk about putting the e40d to 4r100 specs, what exactly does that mean?

sassyrel

Reaction score
I have seen people talk about putting the e40d to 4r100 specs, what exactly does that mean?

near zero,,tho the 4r's could be had with a pto option...

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That all depends on what year E4OD you want to compare. There are updates on some years that can be done, on the earlier models not so much.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
That all depends on what year E4OD you want to compare. There are updates on some years that can be done, on the earlier models not so much.

What years cant you do the upgrades on and what years can you? I have an 88 f250 with a c6 and I wana put in an e40d but just need some more knowledge before I do it. Any suggestions would be great!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't do it, E4OD won't fit, the bellhousing is different, besides you have to have the electronics to operate the E4OD, change the VSV to a TPS, a tach, and a VSS and etc.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Can't do it, E4OD won't fit, the bellhousing is different, besides you have to have the electronics to operate the E4OD, change the VSV to a TPS, a tach, and a VSS and etc.

I thought in 89 the e4od was put in? The e4od I have is off of a 7.3idi out of a bus so it does bolt on the the engine. You think its not worth it?

bobracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully you got all the electronics (computer, engine bay wiring harness, and the sensors mentioned above). There might be a standalone computer in the aftermarket but it's gona cost you.
I'd guess the 3K for a gearvendor overdrive unit, in the long run, would be cheaper. That is unless you have lots of free time and like reading wiring diagrams, plus runs to the junkyard for nickel and dime parts that will put you in the poor house.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The proper diesel E4OD will fit, but you have to get all the stuff that went with it, like the stand alone computer and all the wiring and sensors. Or get a aftermarket controller like someone else mentioned. I think Baumann engineering sells one for around $500 and then you have to buy the harness on top of that.

If you get your E4OD rebuilt to 95+ specs, then it would be worth it if you put a lot of miles on it. I swapped my c6 out for a zf 5 speed, and gained 3mpg, no other changes, so you should be able to get the same type gain, since the E4OD has a lock-up converter.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
What years cant you do the upgrades on and what years can you? I have an 88 f250 with a c6 and I wana put in an e40d but just need some more knowledge before I do it. Any suggestions would be great!!

All years can be updated. Depends on your budjet. 89 is not woth upgrading. 90 will be the most expensive. 97 the cheapest with most updates installed. 98 is a cross over E4OD/4R100. (Mostly gas engine)

Both the E4 and 4R have a list of updates and to make them indestructable. All gose back to $$$$.:D

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not that hard to build a harness it only takes a little time, As for fit now I'm confused I thought a diesel 6.9 and 7.3 had to have a diesel trans...Now a C6 and a E4OD wont interchange? If that was the case then why not just change the bolt on adapter plate.

As for it being a guessing game I thought thats what this forum was for! The exchange of ideas...I would of never of put a 7.3 in my truck if it wasnt for this and FTE sites I'd of stuck in a cummins...And I was told it wouldnt fit to begin with until I found the guy with the Blue 70's Ford flat bed sorry dont know his handle...So now I guess it NOT a site to exchange ideas now :confused:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Its not that hard to build a harness it only takes a little time, As for fit now I'm confused I thought a diesel 6.9 and 7.3 had to have a diesel trans...Now a C6 and a E4OD wont interchange? If that was the case then why not just change the bolt on adapter plate.

As for it being a guessing game I thought thats what this forum was for! The exchange of ideas...I would of never of put a 7.3 in my truck if it wasnt for this and FTE sites I'd of stuck in a cummins...And I was told it wouldnt fit to begin with until I found the guy with the Blue 70's Ford flat bed sorry dont know his handle...So now I guess it NOT a site to exchange ideas now :confused:

Diesel C6 and Diesel E4OD will interchange. You need to do the supporting mods for each. C6 uses vac. E4 uses electronic. When going the electronic route. Use an aftermarket controller. They will come with the wiring done for you. No need for the crummy factory controller or a tired and mangled harness.

lbzbuick

diesel =)
Reaction score
Diesel C6 and Diesel E4OD will interchange. You need to do the supporting mods for each. C6 uses vac. E4 uses electronic. When going the electronic route. Use an aftermarket controller. They will come with the wiring done for you. No need for the crummy factory controller or a tired and mangled harness.

Iv seen alot of your e4od posts and you know alot about them. What is everything it would take to put an e4od in an 88 f250?I already have the e4od. Oh and I am going to rebuild the trans myself but I need to convert it from 2wd to 4wd. First is this possible? second what parts will it take? I already will have it all apart so I dont care about having to swap internal parts, which is what everyone keeps telling me wont be worth it.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You will need a controller to run the tranny. A TPS for the injection pump and the early type VSS.

You will need a tail shaft and extension housing from a 4x4 tranny. Just swap your two wheel drive parts for the four whell drive parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online