E4od troubles

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a bit over 200 to 225 at the pan,though higher than desired is still very safe with normal flush intervals.
if the trans is shifting much differently between 100 to 250 degree's,then a tolerance somewhere is no longer within spec.valve body maybe?

anything under or over 175 degrees is varying from perfect.
you can run a trans too cool too.careful in the winter months guys.

it's not a bad idea for those with massive coolers, to block them off once in a while with some cardboard and try to get temps up around 200-235 or so for a few miles/mins to help burn off any condensation.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your having problems now it is only a matter of time before it is done, but get the bigger cooler so when you replace the trans you have the right one. Any temp over 200 is not good for an e4od for a period of time. you probably have a valve body plugged up or your factory cooler and radiator are plugged. make sure you flush both of them with trans flush when you service it. You might be able to fix it before it goes. I know I have gone through two e4od's one was a ford factory rebuild.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radiator is only a year old and the cooler is new so hopefully i have good flow now. I dont think I did before. the temperature of the transmission was 225 and i could lay my hand on the factory cooler. So I dont think it was doing much cooling.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.digi-panel.com/trannyoil.htm

Check this link out on transmission fluid and temperature. It will make you want to change your fluid and get a bigger cooler.
I changed my cooler out for a larger one. It was just a auto world brand but it was for rv and large trucks. It's about 12-14 inches square and I have used a infared thermo gun on trans pan on 95 deg day after towing a skid steer and the pan temp was 175

I have an e40d and there is no delay between shifting and trans engaging then again it was replaced 6mo after I bought the truck so mine only has a few years age on it. I have read that its wear between the clutches and it takes a second to clear the slack before the gears engage.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check out the link. I feel Like my tranmission has a short life left, but I am trying to make it last as long as possible. I also figure that since I now have a cooler rated for 40,000 lbs that will help the life of the next transmission.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That as an interesting read. My transmission has reached 200 a couple of times since I have owned it. The highest it has ever been was around 225. it usually ran around 190 before I purchased the new cooler. Now with the new cooler even towing the highest I seen was 180. I changed the fluid and filter when I purchased the truck 18 months ago and have put about 10000 miles on it since then.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the way to flush an E4OD. It's in the tech articles.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?29296-Flushing-a-E4OD-or-4R100

Don't know how you installed your aux cooler, but the line from the trans. should go thru the radiator first then thru the aux cooler, back to the trans. The reason is, heat transfers more efficiently from liquid to liquid than from liquid to air. The returning fluid goes directly to the bearings in the trans. to lube and cool them, that is why the trans. temp in the pan will be higher than the returning fluid.

cowman79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my new cooler in place of the factory one. If I recall the fluid does pass through the cooler in the radiator before it goes to the aux cooler.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually what all of you need is a " transmission thermal bypass". You get these huge coolers but when the temp drops in the winter the trans will never warm up to its proper temp. A bypass will shut off the flow to the aux cooler if the temp get to low that way you know that 1. you have a huge cooler to keep it cool and 2. you have bypass to cut it out of the loop in the winter. That way the trans stays at 180* and you get the best efficiency and life out of your transmission.

Something like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-Long-Transmission-External-708-4739P6/dp/B008BTJFJ4

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Actually what all of you need is a " transmission thermal bypass". You get these huge coolers but when the temp drops in the winter the trans will never warm up to its proper temp. A bypass will shut off the flow to the aux cooler if the temp get to low that way you know that 1. you have a huge cooler to keep it cool and 2. you have bypass to cut it out of the loop in the winter. That way the trans stays at 180* and you get the best efficiency and life out of your transmission.

Something like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-Long-Transmission-External-708-4739P6/dp/B008BTJFJ4

those don't work. you would be better of getting something like this.

you can buy that separate if you need it.
Derale D25793

you probably saw the pics how i mounted mine to my trans filter with just a muffler clamp;
You must be registered for see images attach

i can keep it there.i'll just change the hose routing around is all.

another good pic for this thread;

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those don't work. you would be better of getting something like this.

Thanks for the info. I am planning on getting one before it gets cold. I was looking at one from another site that also sold transmissions but I couldn't find it last night so I just used that one on amazon.