E4OD tranny

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
why the hell can't ford auto tranny have a drain plug:backoff where's a good place to fined a bigger aluminum pan for it?

bigrandy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TCI I believe makes one for the E4OD.My c-6 has one and it has drain plug,and it holds an extra 2 qts.;Sweet

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I will tell you that keeping the fluid changed and in good shape on a E4OD is a must if you want them to last, also keep it cool.

I used to change mine a pretty easy way or at least I thought it was easy....

I would pop off the line going back to the trans and direct it into a 5 gallon water jug, then have Sherri start the truck and watch for the fluid to start to spudder, then I would dump some new fluid in and do it again, and again, and again... until the 5 gallon jug was just about full, then I would hook up the lines again and refill then enjoy.

I monitored the temp of the fluid and would change it if I over heated it. I never had a problem with the E4OD.

So adding the ext cap pan with cooling fins is a step in the right direction.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
You can update the obsolete E4OD pan with the 4R100 4X4 pan. They come with a drain plug now.:D It will run you about $40. bucks. The rubber gasket(reusable) is about $20. bucks at the dealer.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
why the hell can't ford auto tranny have a drain plug:backoff where's a good place to fined a bigger aluminum pan for it?

Why the hell cant ford build a auto tranny thats worth a !#$% is what I want to know! You have to baby them and they still dont last half as long as the truck will. I wish all mine had the 5 speed!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I beat on the Enterprise and she never gave me one problem out of the E4OD tranny. Old Mister Bill pulled quite heavy with his and he didn't have that many problems with them either.

Now we both had addt'l coolers and kept the fluid changed in them. We also had about the same driving style in that we would sort of let off it when the shift point came, let the tranny get into gear fully then pour the coal to it. While an auto tranny is changing gears it's slipping, while it's slipping it's creating heat, heat is the number one killer of auto trannies.

here was my fluid path...

Out of the tranny to an aux filter setup, out of that to the stock OEM style cooler built into the lower tank of the radiator, from there to an add on cooler mounted front and center of the A/C condenser, from there back to the tranny.

My aux cooler was rated for a motorhome pulling a large trailer. I figured bigger is better and it seemed to work.

I would monitor my temps on the fluid at the aux filter head, yes this is the hot side and will show hotter temps than what is in the pan. My thinking was whats in the pan has already been cooler, I don't want that temp, I want what the working temp of tranny. I would run her at 225 degrees all day long an would let her spike up to 250 on occasions but anything over that temp that lasted for more than a couple of mins meant that I was changing the fluid....

that little set up and mind thinking kept my tranny in good shape.... Oh I also had a Banks Transcommand that increased the line pressure and also had adjusted the FIPL or TPS so that I got harsher shifts (reduce the slipping at gear change).

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
I dont know what the big rvs weigh, But most of the time we are hauling cows around here. With a big fithwheel stock trailer and 10-15 cows = 10000-20000 pds and soft sandy ground and roads the e4od is pretty marginal, they do work and some last a while but way more get fried , we also run big coolers!

sassyrel

Reaction score
I dont know what the big rvs weigh, But most of the time we are hauling cows around here. With a big fithwheel stock trailer and 10-15 cows = 10000-20000 pds and soft sandy ground and roads the e4od is pretty marginal, they do work and some last a while but way more get fried , we also run big coolers!

stock e4 from 89-95 was marginal--but after that--they started to do a lot of updates------------you get a rebuilt from ford now--a lot of them are in it, and as trav said--huge cooler. pulling a trailer isnt ******* them--its the takeoff until everything is locked up--thats when the heat is created--they still can get warm down the road,,,, but most of the time its because the tq is slipping a mite---thats why a shift kit solves lots of problems--and NOT a damn B&M kit either--it holds high line pressure all the time--e4's dont like that--

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had heat issues with my tranny until I adopted Travis' setup. I have the exact same setup except I went one aux cooler further. I have two coolers mounted on the condensor otherwise it's the exact same path as Travis stated above. Oh one other diff is I take my temp from the pan....doing that I never have seen a temp over 185 since I did this.

gandalf

Reaction score

Ford CAN have a drain plug in the transmission pan. And a good place to find a bigger pan? Why, Ford, of course.

Refer back to a posting not too long ago.

Ford Transmission Pan and Cooler

That thread has a nice picture, and part numbers.

Hope that helps.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the hijack but I have an issue with my tranny and a couple questions. About two weeks after I bought my truck the tranny went on me. I changed the filter (because it was clogged) and fluid and it was back. Then it happend again about a month later. Both times it would lose 3 then 2 then nothing. If I shut the truck off then turn it back on it would be ok for a while. I have a fealing it won't last long.

How well would a E40D tranny bolt in .i.e driveshaft length transfer case bolt pattern?

What would I need?

Does it need a differant flywheel?

I know I need the control modual.
Thanks in advance

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Why the hell cant ford build a auto tranny thats worth a !#$% is what I want to know! You have to baby them and they still dont last half as long as the truck will. I wish all mine had the 5 speed!

I never baby any transmission.:rotflmao The big problem with the E4OD is the-cuss computer program. Other than that it is a fairly stout unit. Now tinker with the guts a little then beat on it. Something else will break before the tranny. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online