E4OD tailshaft bushing

pafixitman

Reaction score
Anybody replaced the bushing with out the Ford tool? How did you do it and how hard was it?

I replaced the seal on Saturday, but she is still marking her territory. The leak is a lot slower, but it is still there. I'm thinking the bushing is worn and needs to / should have been replaced.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Joe,
I don't think it needs a special tool, but you have to remove the tailshaft housing assembly knock the olds bushing out and install the new one. We couldn't do it Sat (ran out of time) because it requires supporting the trans, removing the trans mount (and crossmember?) and removing the tailshaft housing. Plus, it will leak alot of fluid and you know how I am about leaks on my asphalt. -cuss cookoo I was afraid it wouldn't stop it completely. :backoff At least it's better. :Sly
John

pafixitman

Reaction score
I have a copy of the drive/powertrain manual from Pete that references "Extension Housing Bushing Remover" T77L-7679-D.
T77L-7679-C is the "Extension Housing Bushing Replacer" :rolleyes:

Both of these tools allows in vehicle servicing. I might cruise the 'Bay and see what I can find.

Between Tbirdfiend @ Plaza and you, there has to be a trans guy you can talk to! :D :angel:

Your molding will be up before the Rally gaurenteed!

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Joe,
That tool is from 1977. I seriously doubt it is still around at my dealership. Things tend to walk after a while. I'll check and see how hard it is to replace.

Speaking of moulding, my window above the front door leaks water and my dining room window leaks also during a heavy downpour. Any help there would be greatly appriciated!!! (Thanks J.A. Myers -cuss -cuss -cuss )
John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As most of these guys who live out on the left coast knows, I moonlight at a transmission shop around the corner from my place. Honestly speaking, you are better off getting the oil bath and pulling the tailcone. Why? first, there is no error in the bushing being done "crooked". two, you can inspect the housing surface to make sure the bushing has not spun and galled the housing bore. You've already done the job once, do it right the second time or you will be staring at a third run. If you are worrried about a possible bad housing, the 2wd housings aren't that awful bulkiy or expensive to ship with a new bushing and seal installed into a good used housing. Judging by what you have been saying on how long your tailshaft has been leaking, odds are the housing is done.

pafixitman

Reaction score
1977? Yikes. At least I now understand Ford tool numbers! :D

John, I can get the windows sealed up for ya. As much as I hate to say it (remember, I still have my returned deposit check from Joe Myers) it is not so much him as it is his subs. I have seen the same deal w/ 20 year old Drees built homes in Ellicott City.

TC, thanks for the insight. I did see tail shafts on fleabay for about $75. I will start shopping that route. Build it on a bench, plug and play.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online