E4OD Question

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just had my E4OD transmission rebuilt locally privately owned Transmission shop. Big chain lke AAMCO not even close. Closest AAMCO in San Antonio,TX. 185 miles away. My question? the transmission has erratic shifts does not shift the same twice, sometimes the overdrive button comes on during my drive home sometimes flashes intermittantly does not continually stay on. I sure do use a lot of fuel this way, does not do it all the time. Does anybody have a manual on shift points at what RPM's does it need to shift with a 7.3L N/A with 4:10's:confused:. I am not happy with the rebuild on the tranny. The local guy only one around that does rebuilds here locally. Thank you for looking. gsgIDI :mad:

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Start by disconnecting the wiring going to the trans and cleaning all the contacts, then do the same to the TPS. If that doesn't do anything then you need to check the FIPL and TPS to see where they're set at. Check the tech articles for info. How is the tach reading?

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The tach on the way home varied with speed I was driving at 62-65 mph it was 1900 to 1950 with overdrive off light flashing on the dash. Where do I find the tech articles listed? I am new to this (just wipe the contacts with a rag to clean them) Thanks GenLightening(Doug)for the help. gsgIDI

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't post what year your truck is,, however, try replacing the speed sensor located on the rear diff. If the OD light is flashing and the tach is erratic both are common indications that the speed pickup is not giving a solid signal.
Worth a look, one bolt and a few minutes to take it out.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest thing is what Trackspeed said - you should have warranty on this thing, use it. If they say it's fine, then go hunting the thing on your own - clean harness connections, adjust FIPL, watch the tach for jumps and spikes and bouncing.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some articles at the begining of the IDI Forum. You can also do a thread search for E4OD and find numerous threads on the subject.
When I cleaned all of my tranny connections and adjusted the FIPL I used a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and once the connections where dry I coated them with di-electric grease before reconnecting them to help protect against water and dirt.
Jim

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its still within the warranty period, than give the shop a chance to fix the problem. If you tamper with it he may just decide to void your warranty.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with David, let him fix it. He may have done a great rebuild mechanically but if the electric issues are not fixed it will be broken again before long. I have come to believe that most E4OD issues are related to problems with the (computerized) tranny communicating with the (mechanical only) motor. When people get them on the same page they seem to be very happy with their E4OD/4R100 especially if they have all the 1997 and later upgrades AND correct electronic readings. The best fix may be a Bauman computer and a BTS tranny, but neither of those is cheap.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the advice, I probably take it to the transmission guy he is slower than molasses. If I take it now it will be Christmas before I get my truck back. I appreciate all the help to get the tranny right. I know is is an electrical problem now, I hope the guy will warranty his work. I'll keep you posted. gsgIDI

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks everyone for the advice, I probably take it to the transmission guy he is slower than molasses. If I take it now it will be Christmas before I get my truck back. I appreciate all the help to get the tranny right. I know is is an electrical problem now, I hope the guy will warranty his work. I'll keep you posted. gsgIDI

Well, try being nice and explain what is going on and that you expect to have a working truck after all the money you gave him. If he starts stone walling you and BS-ing or delaying the work on your truck, well you may have to start raising the pressure on him. Its not right for him to make you wait on a job that you have already payed for.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, david85
I talked to my other mechanic shop that did the work on other things like redoing the right and left turn signals, glow plugs, glow plug controller, battery cables, air cond compressor, conderser, freon blows cold now, fan clutch, fixed leaks and assorted stuff about $2300 for assorted work and $1100.00 for air cond work. The owner called me yesterday to see how everything was going and I told him that the turn signals quit working and the tranny shifts are erratic and the od light blinks and he said to just drop the truck by and he would address the problems. Nice that he called me to check on the truck. He said that he wanted his customers to be happy with the work done at his shop. He did not do the rebuild on the tranny another shop did the rebuild the transmission, which is all they do is rebuild transmissions only shop around that rebuilds transmissions here. My truck had been at the transmissions shop since December off and on trying to get the transmission fixed. I finally took it to another shop after the rebuild after he wanted to replace the computer and see if that was the problem. Parts replacer, not addressing the real problem. Sorry I am venting a little. I just wanted to get the problem fixed in a timely manner. Thanks for your advice and help. gsgIDI

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online