E4OD Problem

Rock

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I went to look at a 93 F250 IDI today. Solid truck but in order to get the trans to start off in first gear I would have to move the shift lever into first on the gear indicator. If I started out in drive the truck would start out in second gear. The trans did not slip at all. Can someone tell me what would cause this? Is this a big dollar problem or an easy fix? Thanks! Rock

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Do a search for "Limp mode" on the forum... You will find more about the E4OD than you thought existed.

Basically, limp mode is what you get, when the TCM finds a problem. Mine was in limp mode when I got it and it turned out to be the solenoid pack.

Gary

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I went to look at a 93 F250 IDI today. Solid truck but in order to get the trans to start off in first gear I would have to move the shift lever into first on the gear indicator. If I started out in drive the truck would start out in second gear. The trans did not slip at all. Can someone tell me what would cause this? Is this a big dollar problem or an easy fix? Thanks! Rock

Are you sure you feel a difference between manual "1" and manual "2"?

Rock

Reaction score
Yes there is a big difference if I start out in drive, feels like I am starting out pulling a heavy trailer up a hill. A lot more get up and go when I shift it manually into 1st. gear, and then step on the pedal.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
is the od light dim by any chance? this problem just happened to me and it was because i blew out the relay for the pcm computer. $30 part from ford. when i drove the truck it felt the same exact way, and it wouldnt shift into od, and i would have to manually shift from 1st to 2nd and 3rd.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My F-350 E4OD shifted like crap, replaced a lot of stuff and finally had the trans rebuilt. I seemed to shift better after the computer was replaced. The only problem now is after the transmission warms say 30 miles, it shifts irratically not at the same place all the time. Any suggestions guys?

2000 F-150 gasser 6cly
1990 F-350 7.3L N/A CC LB with E4OD and 4:10 gears
1983 C-20 6.2L single cab
1995 Honda Accord gasser 6 cly

Rock

Reaction score
Did not notice the OD light on. Tried pressing the button a couple of times when I was at around 55 mph it was not shifting into OD. Talked to a trans mechanic today and as soon as I told him about it not going into OD, he said he has seen the problem before bad od sprag. It will prevent the trans from shifting down to first unless you manually move the shifter into 1st gear. Said the trans would need to be rebuilt. $2,000.00 for a rebuild. Think I will keep looking for a truck.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not notice the OD light on. Tried pressing the button a couple of times when I was at around 55 mph it was not shifting into OD. Talked to a trans mechanic today and as soon as I told him about it not going into OD, he said he has seen the problem before bad od sprag. It will prevent the trans from shifting down to first unless you manually move the shifter into 1st gear. Said the trans would need to be rebuilt. $2,000.00 for a rebuild. Think I will keep looking for a truck.

Keep looking, or use that as a bargaining chip. You can get a rebuilt E4OD tranny for a grand these days. If you are still getting 1st gear, its not the clutches and there is still some power going to the system. E4ODs can't produce 1st gear without imput from the computer even with the selector in manual 1.

If you are not in a hurry to get a new truck than I would keep looking.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Hi,
My F-350 E4OD shifted like crap, replaced a lot of stuff and finally had the trans rebuilt. I seemed to shift better after the computer was replaced. The only problem now is after the transmission warms say 30 miles, it shifts irratically not at the same place all the time. Any suggestions guys?

Hi Gina! Check your throttle position sensor on the IP. If it's the black one, it should be updated to the new gray one. Check to see if it's set to 1.0volts at warm idle and that it has a nice smooth transition from idle to full throttle.

Have you opened the package up yet?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you lose electronic control to the transmission it will default to reverse and 2nd gear only.

Not for the E4OD. You might be right for the AODE though.

With no electrical power, the E4OD will perform as follows:

Reverse in "R"
Second gear in "1" or "2"
Fourth gear in Drive

Engagement will feel more positive than normal and engine RPM drop will be more than normal as well (higher line pressure is the cause).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online