E4OD playing tricks

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 years ago i had rebuilt the tranny , Transgo full shift kit installed, All clutches and bands looked great . TC was almost new and i did not replace it \. I recently done IP, New injectors and TPS adjustment to fall in the correct range. Plenty of successful trips under the F350 and E4OD belt.

Yesterday as i am leaving work and heading home i was in 2nd gear and ready to witch lanes and TC unlocked on me , RPM spiked up , backed of the throttle , tried again but no luck , I cruised my way to the right lane then the TC decided to lock like nothing happen , I tried to replicate the issue yesterday in every possible way with no luck , Then heading to work this AM it did it again for short distance . The O/D light never came on at all so no code ( or i am assuming no yet)

What all need to check beside the wiring plug by the driver side, Could the TPS be faulty ? All the lines are new so is the Oil , Over size Tranny cooler was installed last year from 6.0 PS so the e4OD always cool

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thays a weird one. I would start at the TPS... And the wiring. After that idk. But I am by no means even remotely good at autos.... That's why I always have manuals! :D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Code 62 Converter clutch failure has to happen five (5) times consecutively to set the Code.

Did you have it manually in 2nd gear when it happened or was it in D ?

Could be that the MLPS is not set correctly or faulty.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thays a weird one. I would start at the TPS... And the wiring. After that idk. But I am by no means even remotely good at autos.... That's why I always have manuals! :D

uh ..The manual . Yes but that never show the advance trouble shooting skill set that comes with life experience!:D

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Code 62 Converter clutch failure has to happen five (5) times consecutively to set the Code.

Did you have it manually in 2nd gear when it happened or was it in D ?

Could be that the MLPS is not set correctly or faulty.

I guess i have 3 more to go

it happened when it was on D .

Lately it has been shifting firmer and thought that because i have a heavy foot along the shift kit which tends to make it shift firmer , i been easy on the throttle and it was shifting smooth until that happened yesterday

MLPS been on there since 93 so there is a possibility but without having /buying spare there is no other way to know . I am set @ 1.1~1.2V

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By manual I mean standard transmission... Not the paper service manual. Can't tell which you are referring to? Lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MLPS been on there since 93 so there is a possibility but without having /buying spare there is no other way to know . I am set @ 1.1~1.2V

MLPS is on the trans, (Manual Lever Position Sensor), put the trans in "Neutral", crawl under and check if the lines on it match up. Hard to see them, if there not, adjust so they are.

You must be registered for see images attach

Rick Dec

Reaction score
I have had problems with my 1994 F 350 A4OD for a year off and on. Mine would not shift out of first every once and a wile. I tried replacing speed sensor in rear, TPS and MLPS switch. All this was done with no codes ever showing on scanner. It was kinda a tiral and see. All these things seamed to help for a short time. I had taken to a number of trans shops and I always had the problem com back. Some times it would happen in 50 miles and other times it would happen after 4 to 5 thousand miles. After taken it to the last trans shop and talking to a Ford guy not a trans guy I went home and figured it out. To make a long story short It was my instrument cluster wire connections. The truck had 289950 miles and there was dirty or light corrosion in the plug areas. I unplug the 3 and cleaned all the contact points. I used 1200 sand paper and acid tone. Put it back together and the truck has not missed a shift or shifted this good in years. All the electrical parts require the correct voltage and amps to work. Just remember the ecu gets its info from many places to work.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 years ago i had rebuilt the tranny , Transgo full shift kit installed, All clutches and bands looked great . TC was almost new and i did not replace it \. I recently done IP, New injectors and TPS adjustment to fall in the correct range. Plenty of successful trips under the F350 and E4OD belt.

Yesterday as i am leaving work and heading home i was in 2nd gear and ready to witch lanes and TC unlocked on me , RPM spiked up , backed of the throttle , tried again but no luck , I cruised my way to the right lane then the TC decided to lock like nothing happen , I tried to replicate the issue yesterday in every possible way with no luck , Then heading to work this AM it did it again for short distance . The O/D light never came on at all so no code ( or i am assuming no yet)

What all need to check beside the wiring plug by the driver side, Could the TPS be faulty ? All the lines are new so is the Oil , Over size Tranny cooler was installed last year from 6.0 PS so the e4OD always cool

When you switched lanes,was it to pass? Often the converter will only lock in 3rd (and od too of course) It can lock in 2nd gear with a heavy load and hard throttle though.Are you sure you were in 2nd? If so,it's not much of a surprise for it to unlock there.

Start with inspecting the passenger side plug if you notice anything again.Odds are it's working correctly though.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you switched lanes,was it to pass? Often the converter will only lock in 3rd (and od too of course) It can lock in 2nd gear with a heavy load and hard throttle though.Are you sure you were in 2nd? If so,it's not much of a surprise for it to unlock there.

Start with inspecting the passenger side plug if you notice anything again.Odds are it's working correctly though.

Well the issue got more funkier as the truck decided to not shift pass the 1st gear the other day on my way to work. So i pulled to the side let other cars pass . shifted on P back to D and we up and go in no time. Trouble never been back since, Truck drives perfect and never acted up again :peelout. I am not worry about it yet but if happen again i will have to start digging deeper

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online