E4OD parts

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here ever built there own E4OD? Im going to be pulling mine out tomorrow and gonna attempt it myself. I have an ATSG manual and have found some decent write ups on line but havent found a good source for hard parts. Im not looking to do a max effort build, just the usual updates, steel planets, updated sprags and whatever else i may need. My trans is a ford reman and was originally a 95 model year unit so it should have some of the good stuff in it, but i just wont know till im in it. Currently the trans is working just fine, but I have been getting some occasional weird noises in 1st and reverse.

Oh, and please dont suggest that I get a BTS trans. I know they build a bad ass unit, but just no way I will pay that much for a transmission! I can get an Eaton 13 speed for less!

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked on ebay, the thought had crossed my mind to order some off there. This trans needs to hold up to 300hp and tow 10000 pounds. I am planing on alto red eagle clutches, but should I get the powerpacks with more plates?

I know I have something broken in there, I found large metal particles in the pan, not just the usual filings. One piece sort of looked like a needle roller.

Truck is up on the lift right now and I should have the trans out in the morning.

Oh, and what should I do for tools, I have seen a few home made setups for spring compressors. one was made of 2x4s LOL.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I made my own jigs too but since I am a metal fabricator by trade thats easy to do (anyone can do it). Sometimes I've seen the E4OD tool kit for sale on Ebay and PATC sells them new on their website but its a little pricy to buy something that you will only use once. If you make something up its better to use metal though. You'll never keep a piece of wood clean LOL. The manual should have some good illustrations on how to use the special tools and that will give you a good idea on how to make something up if you decide to.

I have no experience with red eagle clutches but I would expect they are good enough. In general, anything you do to increase surface area will increase the holding power of the clutch pack. Whats nice about going this route is you will not need to increase line pressure to the same degree as if you were running a bone stock clutch pack. Personally I'm not really sure you need that much extra to stand up to 300 Hp. Most of the clutch pack failures don't really stem from lack of surface area but shift duration that is too long due to valve body and line pressure calibration (or failures therein).

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a good link I have found. It has a bunch of really good pictures.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/index.htm

The spring compressor is the only complex tool. I dont think I should have much trouble building something to get the job done.

From what I have read the red eagle clutches are the popular upgrade, and the kolene steels to go with them. I do also intend to install a transgo tugger kit.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Here is a good link I have found. It has a bunch of really good pictures.
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/projects/e4od/index.htm

The spring compressor is the only complex tool. I dont think I should have much trouble building something to get the job done.

From what I have read the red eagle clutches are the popular upgrade, and the kolene steels to go with them. I do also intend to install a transgo tugger kit.

Check out this guy for parts. He was behind the E4OD article on at TDG.

www.racerxautomotive.com He will set you up with the needed stuff.:thumbsup:

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have checked on ebay, the thought had crossed my mind to order some off there. This trans needs to hold up to 300hp and tow 10000 pounds. I am planing on alto red eagle clutches, but should I get the powerpacks with more plates?

I know I have something broken in there, I found large metal particles in the pan, not just the usual filings. One piece sort of looked like a needle roller.

Truck is up on the lift right now and I should have the trans out in the morning.

Oh, and what should I do for tools, I have seen a few home made setups for spring compressors. one was made of 2x4s LOL.

When using Alto Red Eagle clutch packs. Use the Alto specs. If you use the Ford specs the clutch packs are to sloppy.

As for tools. You can find some good deals on flea bay.
Most are easy to fab if you wish to make your own.

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at racerx website, but its not that great.

I got the trans out today but didnt get a chance to start tearing into it. I pressure washed it and the casting number on the case says F7, but who knows what is inside.

the gray paint ford puts on there remans is junk!

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I have looked at racerx website, but its not that great.

I got the trans out today but didnt get a chance to start tearing into it. I pressure washed it and the casting number on the case says F7, but who knows what is inside.

the gray paint ford puts on there remans is junk!

Give him a call. Let him know what your plans are. He will set you up with just about every thing you need.:thumbsup:

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after pulling the trans apart today, its not as bad as I thought. The previous owner told me it only had 10,000 miles and that appears to be true. The only problem is the forward planet is still an aluminum 4 gear unit and it just couldnt handle it. I called my local trans warehouse and they had the 6 gear unit and all the rest of the stuff i needed in stock. I also got a transgo tugger kit and a hardened shell. Im hoping to have it assembled and ready to go back in tomorrow afternoon.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool;Sweet

The donor transmission I bought was all 4 pinion aluminum too but that one had a burned direct clutch pack with everything else being in good shape. I kept the aluminum reverse setup since its very unlikely for that to overheat.

Are you changing anything with the overdrive clutch pack? If it only has 2 friction elements, you can upgrade to a 3 friction. Ford recommends the upgrade for heavier loaded transmissions,

dave186

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am keeping the aluminum reverse setup as well, looks like about $350 for a steel setup so im going to pass on that for now. Honestly I didnt even count the overdrive clutches. This truck has such tall gears it rarely sees OD. LOL It does already have the steel OD planetary.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats strange that it would have the steel overdrive but not the forward. Maybe the overdrive is what failed the first time around.

Actually, its $350 for a universal upgrade to retrofit any E4OD or 4R100. The planetary alone can be had for about $100 last I checked, but I still think its not really worth it. If you currently have the cast reverse drum, you could use a six pinion reverse planetary if you wanted.

Err, I stand corrected. Just found this:

http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/the-ALL/searchpath/4226/start/241/total/1000/Categories

Anyway, it doesn't matter but in case anyone else is looking, here is were I found it:

http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/the-ALL/searchpath/4226/start/241/total/1000/Categories

Lots of goodies, and prices I haven't seen published for a few years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online