e4od needs help

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1994 e350 box truck with a 7.3 IDI with an E4od, I have searched the forums but haven't found an issue that is exactly like mine.
Whit gear selector in D, the truck tries to start off in 3rd gear, if I manually shift to second, it will go to second gear, if I manually shift to first, it will not go into first gear. I only have second and third. The OD light does not blink, it is on continuously but dim, the OD button has no affect, I have replaced the solenoid pack because the plug on the right rear had fluid on it when i disconnected it. I am pulling a trailer and I am afraid of burning up transmission without a first gear, any help is appreciated

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad input clutch set I had a turbo 350 do that

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Someone reason had a problem very similar.
Iirc, the dim od light was caused by a bad ground.
Fixing the cause of the light being on will most likely solve your troubles.
But dont drive it like that. Let alone tow with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Relay for the TCM!!! Should be in the power distribution center under the hood, driver side rear of the engine bay, near the hood hinge.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As LCAM said! You can swap in the other relay for the horn (right next to it) and see if the OD light goes out and trans works again. If so, you found your problem and can get another relay.

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
TCM relay was not the issue, I swapped it out with the horn relay like suggested, and it did the same thing, overdrive remained dim and would not shift into first gear or overdrive

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TCM relay was not the issue, I swapped it out with the horn relay like suggested, and it did the same thing, overdrive remained dim and would not shift into first gear or overdrive

then you probably have a blown fuse.check locations "I" and "U" as shown below and your dim od light and high gear starts will be behind you.:)

if the fuse blows again when you turn the key to run,then suspect the fuel filter heater element line.disconnect!

Attachments

• EngineCompartmentFusePanelwithkey-1.jpg
    EngineCompartmentFusePanelwithkey-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 71

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
then you probably have a blown fuse.check locations "I" and "U" as shown below and your dim od light and high gear starts will be behind you.:)

if the fuse blows again when you turn the key to run,then suspect the fuel filter heater element line.disconnect!

Well.... That wasn't the problem, your fuse panel doesn't match the one that I have, I don't know if it makes a difference but this is in a E350 box van, and fuse panel is A little different, I replaced the TCM a relay , and this did not help, I don't have a PCM fuse

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well.... That wasn't the problem, your fuse panel doesn't match the one that I have, I don't know if it makes a difference but this is in a E350 box van, and fuse panel is A little different, I replaced the TCM a relay , and this did not help, I don't have a PCM fuse

EDIT: be sure to see next post down.

oh yeah i see.do you have an owners manual?
tip: only the gas trucks will show up as "pcm" what your looking for in your diesel owners manual will be "eec" relay fuse.
but if no manual,simply pull all those fuses in that power distribution box looking for one that's blown.it will most likely be the one that feeds your relay.the odds are high of it being a yellow/20a one like used in the trucks too,so start with pulling those.

Attachments

• relay locations.JPG
    relay locations.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here it is.looks like a 30 amp.location seems to be the 2nd fuse up from the eec relay.

Attachments

• 2009-09-22_180457_92_Econoline_engine_bay_fuses.jpg
    2009-09-22_180457_92_Econoline_engine_bay_fuses.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 60

Davismotorsports

Reaction score
This is the power distribution box that I have, the eec fuse that is the 3rd down in your photo is a blank spot it mine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    646.1 KB · Views: 51

rustygold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now if I remember there is a panel under the dash that has one. On driver side

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members