E4OD guru's look here...

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Well she's on the road...finially. Seems with my new pump (thanks Russ) and new injectors (thanks AGAIN Russ) my auto doesn't like to put the power to the ground the way I would like it to. It doesn't seem to be slipping bad just winds out and takes for ever to make the shifts. I'm thinking after an inspection, I want to add a Transgo Tugger kit, and a converter. My question is will this converter work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0400559019&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know it says Powerstroke just wondering what the differences would be between a PSD and an IDI?

sootman73

Reaction score
that converter will not work for your truck because it is a 6 lug converter. you need a 4 lug. the psd's had six studs to bolt it to the flywheel whereas the idi's ony had 4 studs. and i'm not sure why they list the single piston info for the lockup but thats the first time i've seen that yet not include the number of friction discs.....

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Thanks...I was wondering about that. What does he mean by "Single Piston"? I just guessed it was the same as a single disk???

sootman73

Reaction score
def want a multi disc. i have a two disc converter just because i got a really good deal on it. the last one listed i would choose before the other two but i would look for one that says "triple disc" not "triple clutch lining lockup" (whatever that is..) the one i got is a Precision brand converter and you'l be very surprised when you compare the stock to the billet.(oh and the billet is a lot harder to install cuz it weighs like 25-30lb more:eek:)

and the piston is just what actuates the lock-up clutch

Last edited:

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
Really? I can't imagine these trucks needing more than a good single disk? I'm not fimillar with the E4ODs, but I do know the billet singles for the Cummins are rated for like +/- 450 RWHP. I know I'm not there! It's not a race truck, just a driver. Although I'm probably tipping the scales right up there with an F350 CC/LB 4x4...

sootman73

Reaction score
its not really the horsepower that we need the multi-disc for its the longevity. hauling and towing with high heat will wear clutches and reduce their clamping effect.

like gary(icanfixall)'s sig says the stock converter has 25sq. in. of friction material where as his triple disc has 125sq in of friction material. really if you think about it that a 5x5 in area holds all that torque and hp while you are towing heavy or getting on it....

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Out of the converters on this list. Use the third one. It is the only one that is a multi disk converter.

Diesel and single disk converters don't get along very well.:eek:

Here is another option.

www.racerxautomotive.com :thumbsup:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Furnace brazed blades (welded is also ok) and updated lockup clutch piston are the bare minimum updates to look for assuming a bone stock engine.

Anything turbocharged or subjected to lots of towing IMO should have a billet front cover and more than one lockup clutch.

Under the right conditions, my truck will launch forward slightly from the lockup event. Nice and firm with minimal wear on the frictions.

Mine shifts nice and crisp like the original C6 did. Mid throttle upshifting produces a nice little thump in the backrest of the seat. Assertive, but not to the point of being rude.

Long slow shifting was ford's way to make their trucks feel more modern and "sophisticated", unfortunately as soon as you add another oh - 3.774 horsepower to the mix, parts start wearing out faster. Instead of using the electronics to keep the transmission further away from the material limits, ford decided to used that added precision to run everything CLOSER to the limit. Bad move and they are still trying to live down that reputation of weak transmissions.

sootman73

Reaction score
Out of the converters on this list. Use the third one. It is the only one that is a multi disk converter.

Diesel and single disk converters don't get along very well.:eek:

Here is another option.

www.racerxautomotive.com :thumbsup:

i would look around because that last converter does not actually say it has more than one disc..... look at the wording carefully plus the guy does not have very many sales....

genchowford

genchowford
Reaction score
Well she's on the road...finially. Seems with my new pump (thanks Russ) and new injectors (thanks AGAIN Russ) my auto doesn't like to put the power to the ground the way I would like it to. It doesn't seem to be slipping bad just winds out and takes for ever to make the shifts. I'm thinking after an inspection, I want to add a Transgo Tugger kit, and a converter. My question is will this converter work:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0400559019&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I know it says Powerstroke just wondering what the differences would be between a PSD and an IDI?

adjust the fipl to control the shifts

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
"Triple Clutch Torque Converter"

3rd line in the discription...what's this mean if not 3 disks?

sootman73

Reaction score
sorry i only saw "triple clutch lining" at first. Mine was only $20 more and it was new though and that is re-manufactured. I dont trust much from ebay and i dont trust re-manufactured stuff unless i have to...

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
i would look around because that last converter does not actually say it has more than one disc..... look at the wording carefully plus the guy does not have very many sales....

The last list as "triple clutch lining lock up". That is another way of saying triple disk.:D

Mr.Diesel

Reaction score
sorry i only saw "triple clutch lining" at first. Mine was only $20 more and it was new though and that is re-manufactured. I dont trust much from ebay and i dont trust re-manufactured stuff unless i have to...

So what do you have and where did you get it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online